[gptalk] Re: Roaming Profiles at remote site

  • From: "mike kline" <mkline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 08:58:39 -0400

Thanks a lot Steven and Omar for the great suggestions;  DFS is something
I'm definitely thinking about.   Now I have to convince the higher ups to
let us extend the schema.

Thanks
Mike

On 5/7/07, Omar Droubi <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Mike,

Roaming profiles are always a pain to manage for some of the issues you
noted in your message- plus several other problems that users encounter like
IE temp folder size which is easily managed through GPO.

Here are a few suggestions- not gpo related:

option 1. Move to a terminal server / workstation solution to support the
50 users. (on the workstation install only the line of business applications
that are not certified to run on a terminal server)(on the TS server install
everything else and have your users use the TS as their primary desktop
environment.)

option 2. Upgrade your servers in the home and remote site to Windows
server 2003 R2 and make use of the new distributed file system replication
features.

My guess is that your users do not work from more than 1 office in a
single day- so the roaming profile folders can be replicated once or twice a
day.

The My docs folder redirection data shares  - can be replicated more
frequently as the DFS in R2 replicates only changes after the initial sync-
which you can prestage.

The only issues with option 2 is the server upgrade or licenses as well as
the storage requirements in each office but it works pretty darn good.

option 3. There are many network devices available now that can compress
data in real time between office (mostly called WAFS devices- wide area file
service). You would have to implement these in the home and each remote
office and this solution also works great but very expensive.Here is one
of the vendors that have a good product as an example: www.riverbed.com

Simply turning off roaming profiles at the remote sites breaks the
requirements that you probably started using roaming profile for anyway. but
without turning it off I bet you have some users that do not wait for the
profile to get loaded all the way back to the home server and you may
encounter data loss- but that is another story.

Also- Redirecting the desktop across a WAN link - many users will notice
the objects on the desktop to blink and have some slow desktop response.

hope this helps some.

Omar