[gptalk] Re: Restricting only Software Installations

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:00:55 -0700

You can prohibit per user installs of MSI packages using the policy at
computer config\admin templates\windows components\windows
installer\prohibit user installs. Since this is a per computer you would
need to apply it at the computer of the user(s) you want to restrict.
Alternatively, if you really needed to button things down, you could set up
a Software Restriction Policy "white list" where only a known set of
applications and setup packages are allowed to run. This would guarantee
that *nothing* runs outside of what you know about. Of course, all this gets
harder if your users are local admin on their workstations.