[gptalk] Re: Restrict access to Drives (Windows 2000)

  • From: Linux'o Mania <linuxomania@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:19:09 +0100 (BST)

Firstly, the point is that they've only access to notepad & not any other word
processor. Secondly, its the client's requirement that they should not be able
to save anything anywhere. Its again client's requirement that denies using
paper/pencil.

  Not a question of trust anymore... If client catches these action items in
Audit, everything with my job goes to toss :o

Martin Hugo <Martin_Hugo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Ah, I see, so they can save to network share?  How about folder
redirect and disable "save as" in Word (using ADMs), and don't allow any other
programs to run?

As far as the paper theft is concerned, you have to have trust in your
employees, you can't erase their minds when they walk out the door ;)

Martin T. Hugo
Network Administrator
Hilliard City Schools
Tel: 614-921-7102
Martin_Hugo@xxxxxxxx

gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The point is that as per client's policy they should not save anything on local
desktop. Earlier they were using paper-pencil only, but that was vulnerable
too. Imaging a situation where I can write confidential details on paper & take
it out & sell it. (Recently there's been many cases like this).
Regds,
LP

Martin Hugo <Martin_Hugo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Or you could have them use paper and pencil.  Sorry but I can't imagine using a
computer as a glorified notepad.  If I am going to type something I darned well
better be able to save it, otherwise what's the point?

Martin T. Hugo
Network Administrator
Hilliard City Schools
Tel: 614-921-7102