[gptalk] Re: Reg Entry

  • From: Minesh Pandya <mpandya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:24:42 +0100

Thats great thanks a lot for everyone's help.

What I did is this...

The package WinRar removed the .zip entry from the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
therefore disabling windows built in zip functionality.

WinRar has been modified to exclude removing the .zip key.

A GP was pushed out to all authenticated machines with the option for the
app to be removed if it falls out of scope disabled, therefore as all
future machines will not have this problem they dont need the app so it
can be removed from policy once installed on all machines.

Thanks.

Minesh Pandya

hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/10/2007 09:52
Please respond to
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[gptalk] Re: Reg Entry

To make live more easy you can also download the tool to convert Registry
entries into adm templates.

http://www.datacrash.net/downloads/downloads/convert-registry-keys-to-adm-policy-templates.html

Note: For #end or #else or #if statements included you need the ADM
template editor!

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Reg Entry
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:09:07 -0700
From: omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would recommend the vbscript approach for both the GPO and manual push-
with a vbscript you can easily add some logic and reporting functionality
and you can run it as a computer startup or shutdown script- or
remotely/manually from an administrators workstation-as long as the
firewall, AV and antispyware packages allow it.

With an MSI in a GPO- I don?t think there is any tracking options unless
you build it into the package, right or wrong?

Also for the fastest roll out- using a shutdown or startup script for a
computer works well- unless your users have admin rights on the
workstations they will not be able to add or modify this key from a login
script unless you add some runas elevation to the script.

With a computer startup or shutdown script- you can add the .reg file
right into the script folder for the GPO itself then add a .bat file with
the line ?regedit /s mykeys.reg? and that will be that. But no reporting
or logic with the one line batch file- but no complicated MSI packages and
no vbscript--unless you want to use one of those solutions.

I don?t think regedit has an issue going to a UNC but during a computer
startup script I would think that maybe SYSTEM or the actual computer
account in AD would need to have read rights to the share folder that has
the file. That is why I would place it right into the GPO folder and use a
computer script to avoid those hassles.

Omar

From: mpandya@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 18:13:19 +0100

Fair point... il push it out via GP...

Minesh Pandya
Network Technical Analyst, Software Packager
Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP
Email: MPandya@xxxxxxxxx
DDI: +44 (0) 20 7643 7629
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7071 9007

"Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/10/2007 18:06

Please respond to
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[gptalk] Re: Reg Entry

Well, given that this is a group policy mailing list? J

If you don't have a software distribution tool, then how about psexec from
sysinternals?

Darren