[gptalk] Re: Reg Entry

  • From: hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:51:50 +0000

To make live more easy you can also download the tool to convert Registry
entries into adm templates.

http://www.datacrash.net/downloads/downloads/convert-registry-keys-to-adm-policy-templates.html

Note: For #end or #else or #if statements included you need the ADM template
editor!

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Reg EntryDate: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:09:07 -0700From:
omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would recommend the vbscript approach for both the GPO and manual push- with
a vbscript you can easily add some logic and reporting functionality and you
can run it as a computer startup or shutdown script- or remotely/manually from
an administrators workstation-as long as the firewall, AV and antispyware
packages allow it.

With an MSI in a GPO- I don’t think there is any tracking options unless you
build it into the package, right or wrong?

Also for the fastest roll out- using a shutdown or startup script for a
computer works well- unless your users have admin rights on the workstations
they will not be able to add or modify this key from a login script unless you
add some runas elevation to the script.

With a computer startup or shutdown script- you can add the .reg file right
into the script folder for the GPO itself then add a .bat file with the line
“regedit /s mykeys.reg” and that will be that. But no reporting or logic with
the one line batch file- but no complicated MSI packages and no
vbscript--unless you want to use one of those solutions.

I don’t think regedit has an issue going to a UNC but during a computer startup
script I would think that maybe SYSTEM or the actual computer account in AD
would need to have read rights to the share folder that has the file. That is
why I would place it right into the GPO folder and use a computer script to
avoid those hassles.

Omar

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gray TroutmanSent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 12:11 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Reg Entry

Only curious here, but is there a reason you're not just running a login script
with the line "regedit \\YourDC\Netlogon\ZipRegistryKey.reg"?  I can't recall
if Regedit recognizes UNC names, but even if it doesn't, using "net use t:
\\YourDC\Netlogon" (or whatever drive you wanted) and then removing the mapping
immediately afterwards would work.

On 10/4/07, hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx> wrote:

you can also make a one time loginscript and hook it on a gpo :) with vbscript
you can regwrite the key's easy.

To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Reg Entry From:
mpandya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 18:13:19 +0100

Fair point... il push it out via GP...
--------------------------------------------------Minesh PandyaNetwork
Technical Analyst, Software Packager Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLPEmail:
MPandya@xxxxxxxxxxxx: +44 (0) 20 7643 7629Fax: +44 (0) 20 7071 9007

"Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/10/2007 18:06

Please respond togptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[gptalk] Re: Reg Entry

Well, given that this is a group policy mailing list… J   If you don't have a
software distribution tool, then how about psexec from sysinternals?   Darren
From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Minesh Pandya Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:57 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Reg Entry   Hi All... How do I push out a
.Reg to all of the machines on the network without using GP? I want to add the
.Zip key which was removed by accident; I have created a MSI but would prefer
doing this without policy as it would be cleaner. Windows Registry Editor
Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip] @="CompressedFolder" "Content
Type"="application/x-zip-compressed" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\CompressedFolder]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\CompressedFolder\ShellNew]
"Data"=hex:50,4b,05,06,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\OpenWithProgids] "CompressedFolder"=""
--------------------------------------------------Minesh PandyaNetwork
Technical Analyst, Software Packager Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLPEmail:
MPandya@xxxxxxxxxxxx: +44 (0) 20 7643 7629Fax: +44 (0) 20 7071
9007************************************************************************Barlow
 Lyde & Gilbert LLP Beaufort House, 15 St. Botolph Street, London EC3A
7NJ.Telephone : +44 (0)20 7247 2277Fax : +44 (0)20 7643 8500Web Site :
http://www.blg.co.ukVAT Number: 243202705CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICEThis e-mail may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please telephone us immediately and delete the e-mail from your
system. If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not disclose to any
other person, nor take copies, of the contents of this e-mail and/or any
attachment to it. We try to ensure that our communications are free of viruses
but do not accept responsibility for any loss or damage that viruses may cause.
You should take your own steps to ensure that communications are free of
viruses. Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP is a limited liability partnership,
registered in England and Wales with registered number OC325641. Barlow Lyde &
Gilbert LLP is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. The applicable
rules can be found on the Authority's website. The term partner is used to
refer to a member of Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP or an employee or consultant
with equivalent standing and qualifications. A list of the members of Barlow
Lyde & Gilbert LLP is open to inspection at the registered office, Beaufort
House, 15 St Botolph Street, EC3A 7NJ.