[gptalk] Re: Reduced GPMC Performance on Vista+SP1?

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:22:55 -0700

Funny you should mention this. Another list member posted the same
observations about an earlier version of GPMC in his domain with 50,000 OUs.
If I remember correctly, it was taking him 10 minutes to get a return back
when choosing a GPO. What we discovered is that GPMC was using very
inefficient LDAP queries to search the domain to determine where links are
located. I am a little surprised that you saw better performance in earlier
versions. I would be very surprised if anything changed in that LDAP query
btw earlier versions and now. I did bug this with MS a month or so ago and
they said they would look into it. We were able to prove, outside of GPMC,
that we could find links an order of magnitude quicker by modifying the
query to tell AD to only return non-blank gplink attributes.