[gptalk] Redirecting, myDocs, Desktop and App Data

  • From: "Timothy J. Parker" <timparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:39:27 -0400

I have a general question for the group. I am still slowly going over the
implemented GPs that the agency that I work for now has implemented. They
started to redirect Mydocs to a network share for everyone based on their
department which appears to work fine.

I occasionally see an event log error about it not working as I go through
workstations. But thats not the current issue. I am trying to get user profiles
down in size. Some people (and I am guilty sometimes). Store stuff on their
desktop which bloats that up.

Also, App Data can also become big. So to try and streamline the User profiles
for quicker log ins, etc. I started to look at redirecting the Desktop. I set
up a GP for myself (only person in my own Testing OU). It appears to work for
the most part. The post/thread about the wallpaper made me think of this. I
have had times where it appears that my machines looses its network connection
(or so it appears) and all of the sudden my desktop "disappears" and the icons
leave except normally for the main few (my computer, network connections, etc).

I know that I need to figure out why the network connection dies, but besides
that is there anything else that I should be looking at. Maybe something I did
wrong with the GP. I am afraid to try and toss this out for the Agency and have
desktops start disappearing.....

Thanks for any comments you can give.

Tim