[gptalk] RSOP Reporting very slow

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:34:52 +1100

Hi,

I had a query from a site as to why logons were so slow. up to 25 minutes on
a terminal server when multiple users logged on. I checked the UserEnv log
(using my log reporter!) and it showed the following two entries

Time

Time Diff

text

16:08:07:604

29.152

Adding File name XXXXXXXX to the Adm list.

16:10:50:391

191.939

Successfully logged registry Rsop data

Basically for a single user it took 3 minutes to write the RSOP data. They
disabled RSOP processing and logon times reduced 80%. Detailed checks of the
log show that they had thousands of registry keys being applied. It took 27
seconds to apply the registry settings and a further 170 seconds to log the
RSOP data.

I am not sure whether there is an underlying problem with why the logging
took so long, or whether it is standard for RSOP processing.

So my question is, have others seen this problem, and is there really any
need to have RSOP processing activated? Is it just easier to activate it
when you have a problem? Does any one use the RSOP processing extensively?

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter - including Preference logging(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml>
&f=policyreporter.shtml