[gptalk] Re: Question on adding ADM Templates.

  • From: Dawn.Wertz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:37:24 -0400

Thank you again.  I actually understood that.  I will put my trust in
Microsoft just this once and hope for the best.

Thank you  Again.

             "Alan & Margaret"
             <Syspro@optushome
             .com.au>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             gptalk-bounce@fre                                          cc
             elists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [gptalk] Re: Question on adding ADM
             10/19/2006 07:32          Templates.
             PM

             Please respond to
             gptalk@freelists.
                    org

Hi Dawn,

It can only effect the Policies that you add the templates to.

EXCEPT if you have the automatic update of ADM templates enabled (which is
the default). This means that if you replace the local ADM template in
Windows\INF with a newer one, then when you open an existing Policy that
uses this ADM template, it will get updated with the newer one. Of course
we
all trust Microsoft, so any newer templates will be backward compatible...

This is not as dangerous as it sounds when you understand what an ADM
Template actually does. It doesn't change the policy settings that are
applied, it just changes the way you see it in the GUI. For instance if you

enable certain policies in the ADM settings, then delete the ADM template,
you can no longer see them in GPEDIT... but they are still there and still
active. Put the ADM templates back, and you see the settings again. So the
worst thing that can happen by replacing an ADM template with a dud
template
is that existing settings are no longer visible, even though the user still

gets them

If this has confused you totally, the best thing is to say that you can
trust Microsoft and adding the new templates to new policies will have no
adverse effect.

Alan C