[gptalk] Re: Question on adding ADM Templates.

  • From: Dawn.Wertz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:48:46 -0400

Thank you for the response.  I will be adding the templetates in on Monday.
Are there any potential side affects to other policies from adding the new
templates?

             "Alan & Margaret"
             <Syspro@optushome
             .com.au>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             gptalk-bounce@fre                                          cc
             elists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [gptalk] Re: Question on adding ADM
             10/19/2006 06:33          Templates.
             PM

             Please respond to
             gptalk@freelists.
                    org

Hi Dawn,

The easiest way is to add the ADM templates to the Policies that you wish
use them in. This places them on the domain controller and everyone sees
them. This means that they are not visible in any of your other policies,
which is a good thing. (not like Vista, which has one receptacle for all
the
new ADMX files. So all Policies see the same files and if you change it for

one policy, it changes for all policies....)

There are some default templates that Microsoft automatically copies from
the local Windows/INF directory when you create a Policy. I have never
understood how it decides which ones to copy (Any ideas Darren?). And it
also (optionally) updates them from the local Windows/INF directory if
there
are newer ones there.

You can also set it up so that it uses the ADM files on the local
workstation, but I think that is a bit silly, since the user may have older

or newer versions etc.

 Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml