[gptalk] Re: Question about the way apps run

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <Syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:30:54 +1000

Chris,

There are two issues involved in trying to do it. Firstly, you have to work out
all of the Registry entries required for what you want, then you have to build
the ADM file.

I just tried it with the .TXT extension and found that while it is relatively
straight forward, there are a lot of keys to be added. Here is the ADM file
required for 5 of the 10 keys, all untested.

You may run into a bit of trouble that some keys are binary. ADM templates
don't support binary keys. Also you have to assume that all machines have the
software installed and installed in the same place......

Note: I used my own ADM template Editor program to build the keys, which makes
it a lot easier than trying to do it all in Notepad.....
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY "File associations"
 POLICY "Association for TXT"
  KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\.txt
  VALUENAME ""
  VALUEON txtfile
  VALUEOFF ""
  ACTIONLISTON
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile
   VALUENAME "" VALUE "Text Document"
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile
   VALUENAME FriendlyTypeName VALUE @%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe,-469
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile\DefaultIcon
   VALUENAME "" VALUE %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-152
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile\shell\open\command
   VALUENAME "" VALUE "%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"
  END ACTIONLISTON
  ACTIONLISTOFF
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile
   VALUENAME "" VALUE ""
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile
   VALUENAME FriendlyTypeName VALUE ""
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile\DefaultIcon
   VALUENAME "" VALUE ""
   KEYNAME SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile\shell\open\command
   VALUENAME "" VALUE ""
  END ACTIONLISTOFF
 END POLICY ;Association for TXT

END CATEGORY ;File associations