[gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

  • From: Shane Williford <shane.williford@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:42:40 -0600

Hmm...not sure why this is, but when dealing with proxy and my remote (i.e.
laptop) users, what I did was create a simple script that modifies the proxy
settings. I placed a batch file in the Startup folder, then 'called' a .reg
file from a 'Support' folder local to the PC that disables all proxy settings.
It took me sometime to 1. find the reg key, then 2. to modify it to disable all
that I wanted. I'm sure you could use the same process but for org-wide just
place the files in a login/startup script.

Shane M. Williford
Systems Administrator
MCSE, MCSA Sec, Sec+, Net+, A+
Mazuma Credit Union
9300 Troost
Kansas City, MO 64131
shane.williford@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:shane.williford@xxxxxxxxxx>
816-361-4194 x6012

From: syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:18:07 +1100
Hi Taz,

My understanding was that the IE settings just built INS files (Install.INS,
SecZones.inf, Authcode.inf, Programs.inf ) and then ran them when the policy is
applied. There is no process to back up your old settings and reapply them when
the GPO is no longer applied.

Only Non tattooed Admin Templates have true reversal of settings. Group Policy
Preferences support "Delete setting when not applied" which is slightly
different to "Replace original setting"

Darren may be better informed. If so, I would be interested to hear the
mechanism used by IE to back out settings.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter - including Preference logging(Free)
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml