[gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

  • From: "Darrell Wiebesick" <dwiebesick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:36:54 -0600

We have had the same problems trying to use this at customer sites. We
used it for 'naughty students' to restrict the internet for a period of
time using a 'fake proxy'. However, when we move the students back to
their OU, the students would still be restricted from the internet even
after many reboots over several weeks.

I have all but given up on this as a useful solution to restrict
internet. It acts like a preference and not a policy.  I am very
interested in using this at our customer sites that want a quick way to
temporarily restrict internet access by having a fake proxy apply to the
'naughty OU' and have internet available when the individual is moved
back to their regular OU.

If anyone has a workable solution, please share it.

Thanks

  "ProActive IT Solutions"

                   www.netrixIT.com <http://www.netrixit.com/>

Darrell Wiebesick   MCSE
Netrix Information Technologies, Inc.
1323 23rd Street South Suite H
Fargo, ND 58103
Phone (701) 298-0175
Fax (701) 298-0189
Toll Free (877) 638-7492
HP Agent # 5871590001

The contents of this message are intended solely for the recipient(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please alert the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

From: syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:18:07 +1100

Hi Taz,

My understanding was that the IE settings just built INS files
(Install.INS, SecZones.inf, Authcode.inf, Programs.inf ) and then ran
them when the policy is applied. There is no process to back up your old
settings and reapply them when the GPO is no longer applied.

Only Non tattooed Admin Templates have true reversal of settings. Group
Policy Preferences support "Delete setting when not applied" which is
slightly different to "Replace original setting"

Darren may be better informed. If so, I would be interested to hear the
mechanism used by IE to back out settings.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter - including Preference logging(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml