[gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:00:11 +0000

Jamie,

Thats cool as well.. but then how do you 'roll back' proxy settings from
setting a proxy server to blank again?

TazH

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting StickingDate: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:43:10
-0600From: Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It’s simply because of the nature of IE Maintenance Policy. Security policies
behave the same way. Only Admin Template settings will “roll back” because they
get written to a different area of the registry.

Jamie Nelson | Operations Consultant | BI&T Infrastructure-Intel | Devon Energy
Corporation | Work: 405.552.8054 | Mobile: 405.200.8088 | http://www.dvn.com

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:51 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

Well this it... there are lots of workarounds... but what I am really trying to
get at it is undertanding why this is actually happening, because all I have
read around Group Policy, it shouldn't. It should just be a matter of removing
the policy and settings should disappear on the client side shouldn't they...?

From: dave.sharples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Fri, 19 Dec
2008 14:45:24 +0000Subject: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

Could you consider using a pac file and putting some logic in there as a
workaround, if a specific machine name is listed, set a proxy, otherwise don’t?

Tad messy probably

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Shane WillifordSent: 19 December 2008 14:43To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

Hmm…not sure why this is, but when dealing with proxy and my remote (i.e.
laptop) users, what I did was create a simple script that modifies the proxy
settings. I placed a batch file in the Startup folder, then ‘called’ a .reg
file from a ‘Support’ folder local to the PC that disables all proxy settings.
It took me sometime to 1. find the reg key, then 2. to modify it to disable all
that I wanted. I’m sure you could use the same process but for org-wide just
place the files in a login/startup script.

Shane M. Williford
Systems Administrator
MCSE, MCSA Sec, Sec+, Net+, A+
Mazuma Credit Union
9300 Troost
Kansas City, MO 64131
shane.williford@xxxxxxxxxx
816-361-4194 x6012

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darrell WiebesickSent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:37 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

We have had the same problems trying to use this at customer sites. We used it
for ‘naughty students’ to restrict the internet for a period of time using a
‘fake proxy’. However, when we move the students back to their OU, the students
would still be restricted from the internet even after many reboots over
several weeks.

I have all but given up on this as a useful solution to restrict internet. It
acts like a preference and not a policy.  I am very interested in using this at
our customer sites that want a quick way to temporarily restrict internet
access by having a fake proxy apply to the ‘naughty OU’ and have internet
available when the individual is moved back to their regular OU.

If anyone has a workable solution, please share it.

Thanks

  "ProActive IT Solutions”
                   www.netrixIT.com
Darrell Wiebesick   MCSENetrix Information Technologies, Inc.1323 23rd Street
South Suite HFargo, ND 58103Phone (701) 298-0175Fax (701) 298-0189Toll Free
(877) 638-7492HP Agent # 5871590001

The contents of this message are intended solely for the recipient(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, please alert the sender by reply
e-mail and then delete this message.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of James F. PrudenteSent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:00 MorningTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

It’s been some time since I had to deal with this, but what you’re describing
is exactly what we went through when removing a proxy.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:36 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

Guys, Thanks so far... Well its definately odd becuase if we apply a GPO with
Proxy Settings, the Proxy Settings obviously take place at the client side.
When we remove it the settings stick. The only way I have got the settings back
to normal (i.e. no Proxy Settings applied) is to actually open the Proxy
Setting up, do not configure it at all (yes! just open it up and leave it all
blank) and then save it back to a group policy and apply it to the OU!!!... the
client then takes the new value (which is blank)... its almost as if you are
going to configure it but then change your mind and do nothing. Its weird, as
you'd expect it to be removed but instead you have to go back and create a
blank proxy setting GPO and apply that. The only way round so far I have
managed is to create 2 GPO's... one with Proxy Settings and One with No Proxy
settings (by this I mean creating a new GPO and opening the Proxy Settings
section and not filling it out and saving the GPO as that) and then filtering
this against AD security groups.... then populating users who should be proxied
and users who can use the local gateway out to the Internet... Could it be my
environment...I wonder

From: syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re:
Proxy Setting StickingDate: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:18:07 +1100

Hi Taz,

My understanding was that the IE settings just built INS files (Install.INS,
SecZones.inf, Authcode.inf, Programs.inf ) and then ran them when the policy is
applied. There is no process to back up your old settings and reapply them when
the GPO is no longer applied.

Only Non tattooed Admin Templates have true reversal of settings. Group Policy
Preferences support “Delete setting when not applied” which is slightly
different to “Replace original setting”

Darren may be better informed. If so, I would be interested to hear the
mechanism used by IE to back out settings.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter – including Preference logging(Free)
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent: Friday, 19 December 2008 4:43 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Proxy Setting Sticking

Hi Guys, HAs anyone come across setting IE Proxy Settings via Group Policy and
the setting sticking when the policy is removed or setting is blanked out? TazH

Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch.com Search now

Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile. Click Here!

Notice: The information transmitted in this e-mail may contain confidential
and/ or legally privileged information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. Review, use, disclosure, distribution, or forwarding
of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s)
is prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liabilities.
Statements and opinion expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of
Mazuma Credit Union. All e-mail communications through Mazuma's corporate email
system are subject to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.
immediately and delete/destroy any and all copies of the original message from
any computer or network system.

Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for
the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of
all or any portion of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.
 Live Search presents Big Snap II - win John Lewis vouchers
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/117442309/direct/01/