[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:40:17 +1100

Darren,

It depends on how you build your default profile. If you are copying the
NTUser.dat file from a user that has never had a policy applied, then you
are correct, you don't need the ntuser.pol file (obviously, since it would
not exist). If you apply a policy, that creates an entry under
software\policy, then an entry is created in the ntuser.pol file and you
must copy it to the default policy. If you don't, and the policy is not
applied to the new user, then Tattoo processing doesn't know that it needs
to remove it from the user's copy of the default policy.

Tazamal,

Looking at your file, it would seem that the entry is already in the
registry but is not in the NTUSER.POL , so tattoo processing doesn't know
that it has to remove it. This will happen if the default profile has been
incorrectly built. It also agrees with the fact that if you deactivate the
policy, the key is deleted and won't come back. Try deleting it manually and
it won't come back either.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml>
&f=policyreporter.shtml

  _____

From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Configured'
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:23:32 -0800

Alan-

Just to clarify, ntuser.pol should not exist in a default profile. It is
created on the fly (both per-user and per-computer) for a given user and, as
you correctly point out, contains the admin template policy settings (as
well as preferences by the way) for the current user. The per-user version
is held in the current user's profile directory. It is responsible for the
policy clean up process inasmuch as each time Admin. Template policy is
processed, this "archive" file is read and any policy keys found in it are
removed before the current Admin. Template policies are re-applied. So it is
possible that this .pol file somehow did not get the policy in question
added to it, and thus would not remove it. But this seems like a strange
scenario.

Darren