[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:41:17 +0000

lol... thanks mate :) Okay, so an update for any of you that haven;t fallen
asleep with this thread so far:

- Domain Default user NTUSER.dat sucessfully updated without the 'sticky key'
- Any new user which is created in the domain does not now pick up this setting
by default
- Existing users still have this key, which is what is required at the moment.
If in the future they dont, i will move them to a different OU and apply a GPO
with not configured or disabled for this setting, that should sort them out
- Policy settings are being applied if set to not configured from configured or
disabled.

Only thing left is this .pol file issue, but right now, i;m happy i;ve learnt a
shed load in a couple of days... :) and can live it for the time being...
please do let me know if you find anything... I will try and resolve as well...

Darren, Alan and Jamie thanks for all for your help (and apologies to those
whose mailboxes have been flooded) and I hope in future threads (all sigh) I
can keep up with you guys.

TazH

From: darren@xxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Problem
with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007
16:50:04 -0800

I just mean any admin template settings under User Configuration. However, it
is not a terrible thing that they don’t have ntuser.pol files. There’s probably
a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, though it eludes me right now. As
long as, when you remove or set a policy setting to not configured from
configured or disabled, it is getting removed from your users, then all is
right with the world.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:12 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after
set to 'Not Configured'

Okay cool... if this has already been discussed, it went straight over my
head... ;)  So that makes sense that the domain default profile would not have
it as when it was created no GP's would have been set... However the concern
then is on my roaming users and any other users that I know have admin temps
apply to them. They do in fact have many admin template settings applied (i
mean many, as i am currently scoping reducing all these settings as i;m sure it
leads to slow logons, but have not started this excercise yet) Yup... viewing
the folder to show hidden files... By user specific admin template policy, do
you mean Custom ADMs being applied to the users? or do you mean standard
downloadable admin template settings on the User Section of a group policy
being applied, if that makes sense. If you mean CUSTOM ADMs, i would even know
where to start making these, so users only get settings from templates I have
been able to download i.e. Office etc etc.... My understanding of what you are
saying and of what I have read on your site about tattooing is that this .pol
file should exist for these users....   > Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:47:03
-0800> From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [gptalk] Re:
Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'> > Tazamal-> The
pol file is an artifact of Group Policy being applied to the user. It should
not really exist in the default profile, unless, as Alan has mentioned in the
past, the profile has/had GP applied to it (which is not best practice as we
mentioned). In terms of existing users not having it, if they are not receiving
any user-specific admin. template policy, then they would not have that file.
Also note that the file is hidden (system) by default so make sure you are
viewing system or hidden files when looking for it. Also, the profile copy
routine--I'm not sure that it would copy the pol file up with the rest of the
profile. I haven't tested that. Again the pol file is there strictly to
facilitate the non-tattooing nature of Group Policy Admin Template settings so
it is not a normal part of a user's profile.> > Darren> > -----Original
message-----> From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Wed, 28
Nov 2007 16:27:47 -0500> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [gptalk] Re:
Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not> Configured'> > > > > > > Okay
cool, so I loaded a copy of the NTUSER.dat file from the domain defaul> t user
profile. I'll test it on that first... and build some confidence, th> en load
the ACTUAL domain one and make the change.... i know i;m being caut> ious...> >
> > Any comments on the fact that the NTUSER.pol file doesn't exist in any of
m> y user profiles folders, i am slightly concerned about this now... Now, goi>
ng through the massive trail this question has had:> > > > "This will happen if
when building the default profile, you copy across NTu> ser.dat but not
NTUSER.POL"> > seems like this has happened... now when i built my default
profile i follo> wed an article that suggested you log onto a machine with a
user... configu> re everything the way you want it... logg off... log on as an
admin and hit> the 'copy to' button when the required profile is selected (in
propeties o> f My Computer, advanced, user profiles, settings... Thats all i
did, would > this have not copied EVERYTHING including the .pol file? > > > >
thanks all for your patience... nice one.> > > > Taz> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007
16:03:31 -0800> From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx> To: gp> talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even aft> er set to 'Not Configured'> >
Tazamal-> Now that you have the hive file loa> ded, you can make any changes to
it as you would a normal registry value. O> nce you unload that hive again, the
changes are then saved to the ntuser.da> t file and subsequently created user
accounts should pick up the value chan> ge.> > Darren> > -----Original
message-----> From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN tazamal_> hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Wed,
28 Nov 2007 15:14:03 -0500> To: gptalk@free> lists.org> Subject: [gptalk] Re:
Problem with GPO Setting even after set to> 'Not> Configured'> > > > >
Alan/Guys,> > > > Okay... I managed to load the> Domain Default User Hive and
yes, the registr> y key is in it and set....>> > > > So, is it possible somehow
to edit this and then replace the NTUSER.> dat fil> e sitting in the default
user profile.> > > > I;m getti> ng out of m> y depth here BUT would really like
to learn the interna> l workings here. I> also dont see the .pol file in ANY of
my roaming profile> users profile fo> lders.... is this bad?> > > > > > From:
syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@f> reelists.orgSubject: [gptalk] Re: >
Problem with GPO Setting even after set> to 'Not Configured'Date: Wed, 28 No> v
2007 13:41:22 +1100> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi Tazamal,> > > > > >
To open the registry hive you mu> st:-> > > > Start regedit> > Click on
Hkey_Local_Machine> > Click on file/L> oad Hive> > Then navigate to the
ntuser.dat file and select it> > Give it a> new name (say aaaa) and you should
be able to browse it> > When finished, > click on the root of the attached hive
(say aaaa) and click > file/Unload H> ive. It gives a warning as to whether you
are sure. Provided y> ou have cli> cked on the correct branch it will be OK. >
> The fact that you do not see > an NTUSER.pol file sort of explains your
probl> em. > It should have been cop> ied over when the NTUser.dat file was
copied ove> r> > > > To get round you> current problems I would suggest a new
policy with the set> ting set to DI> SABLED. This will fix your immediate
problem, both for new an> d existing u> sers. You can then go through and
rebuild your default profile > at your le> isure, test it and implement it.
When this is done and you are co> nfident > that all (most) of your registries
sitting on machines have been fi> xed, r> emove the policy all together.> > > >
Alan Cuthbertson> > > > > > > > > > >> > From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] O> n B> ehalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent:
Wednesday, 28 November 2007 12:27 PMTo: > gptal> k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even a> fter se> t to 'Not Configured'> >
> > Guys After reading all the replies I > think I need to take some time and
mak> e sure this is done correctly. What> Darren suggested was what I was going
t> > o do, now though i'm hestating as> i;m not sure as there might be useful
stu> ff in my default profile that i> ;m not aware of. As far as I remember I
only> did desktop and start menu ty> pe clean ups, but it was a while back. I
cant> find the document I produced> :( Alan, some questions for you (please
bear> with me if this basic stuff)> from your points i'm unsure how to carry
out:> 2) How do I open the regist> ry hive?3) I dont see an NTUSER.pol file i
only> see an NTUSER.dat fileI Co> pied the whole Default User profile folder
from > the netlogon share to my > laptop d:\ as suggested in step 1 Have I
understoo> d what you meant correc> tly? In a locked down type environment do
you guys h> ave a kind of good lo> ckdown policy that you have previously
documented and > have to hand when g> oing into a new environment. A kind of
standa> rd procedur> e the default p> rofile should look like? In my case,
users only need to fire> up Microsoft > Office, Internet Explorer, u> se
certain mapped drives, pick up> printers and> run some LOB applications..
nothing else. I would be very int> erested to > see how the experienced guys
deal with these kinds of things... > might be > asking for a lot. I understand
this all down to choice and situati> on that> depoyment is taking place in, but
any useful would be handy to know> .... > This is excellent learning for me...
so thanks > > > > > > > > From: syspro> @optushome.com.auTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: > Problem wi> th GPO Setting even
after set to 'Not Configured'Date: Wed, 28 No> v 2007 0> 8:17:01 +1100> > > >
Tazamal,> > > > While Darren is correct in what he sug> gests, I am not sure it
is something > you want to rush in to. You may find> there are a lot of useful
things in yo> ur default profile that you are no> t really aware of. It really
depends on h> ow well documented your process > is for building the default
profile.> > > > As a short term check I would d> o the following:> -> > > > > >
Copy the default profile to somewhere where yo> u can play with it> > Open the
registry hive and see whether the offending > key is present> > Open the
NTUSER.pol file with notepad and see if the key > is present there. > (The file
is a bit messy, but you should be able to rea> d it )> > > > If you find the
key is present in step 2 and not present in s> tep 3, then th> at explains your
problem. The quick fix is then to either r> emove the entry > from the registry
hive in the default user profile or to > create a policy wi> th the entry set
to DISABLED.> > > > Note: If you fix t> he default profile without creating the
DISABLED policy, > you will only fi> x new users, not existing users. You may
be stuck with havi> ng a policy se> tting to disable the entry until all
existing users have been> fixed. Since> a user can have profiles on multiple
machines, it is not “f> ixed” unt> il all copies have been fixed.> > > > So…
it’s all a bit messy. The mor> al of the st> ory is either follow Darre> n’s
advice and make sure no polic> ies are applied to your default profile,> or
else ensure the NTUSER.pol is > always copied across as well.> > > > Alan
Cuthbertson> > > > > > Policy Man> agement Software:-> >
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f> =pol_summary.shtml> > > >
ADM Template Editor:-> > http://www.sysprosoft.>
com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml> > > > Policy Log Repor>
ter(Free)> > http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policy>
reporter.shtm> l> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > From: gptalk-bounce>
@freelists.org [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On B> ehalf Of Darren M>
ar-EliaSent: Wednesday, 28 November 2007 6:53 AMTo: gptalk> @freelists.orgS>
ubject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set> to 'Not Confi>
gured'> > > > Here’s what I would do. If you have a vanilla XP image, jus> t
copy the def> ault profile from c:\documents and settings\default user up> to
the Netlogon> > share, over the existing one, using the System control pa> nel
applet. Then > you can customize it however you want by removing shortc> uts,
etc. > > > > Darren> > > > > > > > From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [>
mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On B> ehalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent: Tue>
sday, November 27, 2007 11:34 AMTo: gptalk> @freelists.orgSubject: [gptalk]>
Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set> to 'Not Configured'> > > > Da>
rren, Okay, i'm going to look into doing this tonight hopefully. Do i tak> > e
the NTUSER.dat file of a new user created while the PST setting was set t> > o
disabled? My confusion is around the fact that to create another Templa> te>
User I will have to create another Domain User and if I do this, the re> gis>
try setting for the ForcePST path will already have been set to the ne> twork>
location... Doesn;t this mean this setting will then go into the tem> plate?> >
gptalk] Re: Proble> m with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configure>
d'Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007> 09:53:53 -0800> > > > Well, you only need to recr>
eate the ntuser.dat file as that is where the po> licy settings are held, b> ut
it may just be easier to do the whole thing and> then manually remove wh> at
you need to. > > > > And yes, all existing users who already have profil> es
will not get affected> —only new users creating new profiles will pick> up the
new defaults.> > > > Darren> > > > > > > > From: gptalk-bounce@free> lists.org
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On B> ehalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSA> INSent:
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:44 AMTo: gptalk@> freelists.orgSubject> : [gptalk]
Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set > to 'Not Configured> '> > > >
Darren... I get you... So i;m sure new users are getting there Def> ault prof>
ile from netlogon, as a Default User profile does exist there. S> hould I tr> y
and re-create this to keep troubleshooting? If I do, will> all> existing us>
ers still keep the settings they have today (primarily all ru> bbish removed >
from start menu and desktop etc etc)... I expect they will > keep the setting>
s (which is what I want).... > > > > > > > > From: darren> @gpoguy.comTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proble> m with GPO> Setting even
after set to 'Not Configured'Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007> 09:32:03> -0800> > > >
Tazamal-> > Yes, what we’re saying is that wherever your de> fault user profile
is gett> ing built from, that is likely where the settin> g is stuck. There are
two pl> aces this can come from. If you have a defaul> t profile up in your
Netlogon > share on your domain controllers, then a ne> w user logging into a
workstatio> n for the first time will have their user> profile created under
%userprofil> e%\<username> on the workstation based > on that default profile.
If you have> n’t put a default profile under Net> logon, then the user grabs it
from c:\> documents and settings\> default user> on the workstation that they
log onto. > So I suspect, depending upon your> situation, its coming from one
of those > two places.> > > > Darren> > > >> > > > > > > From:
gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@freeli> sts.org] On B> ehalf
Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:2> 1 AMTo: gptalk@>
freelists.orgSubject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Settin> g even after set >
to 'Not Configured'> > > > All, I'm not sure i understan> d the question (a bit
slow like that)... so I > will atempt to answer it. T> hese test users where
created by right clicking > in the OU where I placed > them and creating a new
account (i have also copie> d existin accounts and > the get same results).
These domain users, i guess t> hen when they log int> o an xp desktop I get
their profile from the domain de> fault user profile > (??) and not the local
All Users profile on the desktop > (??). I created t> his a while back by
creating a new user, logging in> , confi> guring desktop,> logging out, logging
in as admin and copying the profile to> the domain so> mewhere... I can get the
details if it helps, i tend to docum> ent everythi> ng. So are you saying that
the domain default profile is where > this stuck> setting could be? Have i
answered your question? Sorry have been> slow to > emails today...> > > > > > >
> From: darren@xxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@freelists.> orgSubject: [gptalk] Re:
Proble> m with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not > Configured'Date: Mon, 26
Nov 2007> 17:29:04 -0800> > > > Looking at the doc> , it sounds like this
setting is stuck in the user’s pr> ofile, as Alan h> ad suggested. How are your
new user’s profiles created? M> y guess is tha> t they are created from a
template Default User Profile that > has that pat> h stuck in it.> > > >
Darren> > > > > > > > From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx> rg
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On B> ehalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent:>
Monday, November 26, 2007 5:00 PMTo: gptal> k@f> reelists.orgSubject: [gptal>
k] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set t> o 'Not Configured'> > > >>
Alan, Darren, Jamie.... Your responses and guidance has been very much app> r>
eciated. I've done some screen scrapes to try and eliminate any things y> ou >
guys may think i might be doing wrong... I hope these help us find a s> oluti>
on. I have attached a file, its not too big, hope you dont mind... T> hanks >
so far on the quick responses so far. Lozz> > > > > > > > From: dar>
ren@xxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proble> m with >
GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007> 16:23>
:32 -0800> > > > Alan-> > Just to clarify, ntuser.pol should not exist in a>
default profile. It is cr> eated on the fly (both per-user and per-compute> r)
for a given user and, as > you correctly point out, contains the admin t>
emplate policy settings (as we> ll as preferences by the way) for the curre> nt
user. The per-user version i> s> held in the current user’s profile dire>
ctory. It is responsible for the > policy clean up process inasmuch as each>
time Admin. Template policy is pro> cessed, this “archive” file is rea> d and
any policy keys found in it are> removed before the current Admin. Te> mplate
policies are re-applied. So it > is possible that this .pol file som> ehow did
not get the policy in question > added to it, and thus would not r> emove it.
But this seems like a strange sc> enario.> > > > Darren> > > > > > > > > > >
From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@freelists> .org] On B>
ehalf Of Alan & MargaretSent: Monday, November 26, 2007 3:19 PM> To: gptalk@f>
reelists.orgSubject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting ev> en after set t>
o 'Not Configured'> > > > Can you try removing the registry> key manually, then
reapplying the policy > and see if it comes back?> > > > > What I suspect you
may have done is got your default Profile screwed up. > Th> ere are two files
in > the Default profile, the NTUser.dat file which con> tain> s the registry
keys that are in use, plus the NTUser.Pol file that st> ores a> ll of the
non-tattooed polices that are to be removed. If these get> out of > synch, you
can have the case that NTUser.dat contains a registry > key but NT> User.Pol
doesn't contain the key for removal. This will happen > if when buil> ding the
default profile, you copy across NTuser.dat but not > NTUSER.POL> > > > This
means that new users inherit a registry which contai> ns the key but the>
NTUSER.POL does not contain the key to remove it as par> t of tattoo process>
ing. However, once you manually remove it, it wont com> e back. While the bes>
t way to fix it for new users is to rebuild your Def> ault profile from scrat>
ch, if this is the only error, you can simply remo> ve the entry from the NTU>
SER.DAT. Existing users are somewhat harder to f> ix. I suspect the only way >
is a batch file that removes the key on a once> of basis. Th> e trouble is tha>
t you need to leave it running until all pro> files on all machines have been>
fixed., > > > > Alan Cuthbertson> > > > > > > Policy Management Software:-> >
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref> =activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml> > > >
ADM Template Editor:-> > http://w>
ww.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml> > > > Po> licy
Log Reporter(Free)> > http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=active>
dir&f=policyreporter.shtm> l> > > > > > > > -----Original Message-----Fro> m:
gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-> bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Be> half
Of Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBAFSent: T> uesday, 27 November 2007 > 4:21
AMTo: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] R> e: Problem with GPO Set> ting
even after set to 'Not Configured'> > > > Then, as Darren suggested, y> ou need
to run a RSoP on that system/user> > and ensure you're not getting > it from
somewhere else. Eliminate that> > possibility first.> > > > Also, a> re you
sure GP > is processing correctly on the system? When you> > run your > RSoP,
check and see if any GP related events occurred.> > > > Regards,> > J> amie
Nelson> > > > -----Original Message-----> > From: gptalk-bounce@freeli> sts.org
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]> > On Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAI> N> > Sent:
Monday, November 26, 2007 11:12 AM> > To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Subject:
[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not> > > Configured'>
> > > Hi Jamie,> > > > Yup... gave that a go.. rebooted few ti> mes etc but
still that setting is> > coming down and shown in the user regi> stry hive.
Within the GPMC> > settings view of the defdompol, there is no s> ign that this
setting> > (ForcePST) is now set... and the only GPO applied > to this User is>
> defdompol... > > > > Thanks for you reply> > > > Loz > >> > > > Subject:
[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'No> t> > Configured'>
> > Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:58:51 -0600> > > From: Jami> e.N>
elson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > > > > Have yo> u
done a 'gpupdate /force /target:user' from the command-line?> > > Sometim> es
if you forcefully reapply the policy it will correct things> > > like th> at.>
> From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@freelists> .org]> > >
On Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAIN> > > Sent: Sunday, November 25, 200> 7 5:36 PM> >
> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Subject: [gptalk] Problem with> GPO Setting
even after set to 'Not> > > Configured'> > > > > > Hi Guys,> >> > > > > I have
also posted this to Group Policy Forums @ Microsoft. Trying> to> > > get some
exposure to this problem... hoping someone can shed some>> > light.> > > I have
tried to describe exactly what is going on being a de> scriptive> > as> > >
possible. If I get an answer on the on the Microsoft f> orum i'll post> > it> >
> over to here if anyone is interested.... >> > > > > > > I have pasted the
Thread I have started already:> > > > > > > > > 2 pos> ts altogether:> > > > >
> Hey Guys,> > > > > > > > Okay, although I have no> t found an answer yet, I
*think* I have made> > > some > > > > progress and> am on the right lines,
again if anyone has any comments> > > please > > > > > do let me know.> > > > >
> > > .... after a lot of googling everything wa> s pointing to the fact> >
that> > > I MUST > > > > HAVE at some point appli> ed the Outlook ADM to the
def-dom-pol with> > the> > > > > > > setting for > 'default path for PST Files'
pointing to my network> > > location. > > > > > After applying it I must have
ripped out the ADM template from the > > > > > def-dom-pol and applied it
specifically to the OU where I wanted the> > > G> PO to > > > > apply. Hence
this *probably* caused GPMC to give the output o> f> > > 'display names > > > >
for some setting cannot be found....'> > > > > > > > > So... in an attempt to
correct this.... Within t> he def-dom-pol I> >> added> > > the > > > > Outlook
ADM template back in... And set the setting> for the PST path> > > to 'not > >
> > configured'.. . Rebooted an XP clien> t, logged in with a new user but> > >
still > > > > outlook is pushing the > path of the PST to the network store
when> > > configuring a POP3 email acc> ount.> > > > > > > > The strange thing
still is even though I have configur> ed the setting> > > now to > > > > 'Not
Configured' (and hence it does not > now display in the GPMC> > > settings tab
that> > > is > > > > applied to > Users (for new users created after this
change as well)> > is> > > the > > > > > def-dom-pol ONLY, the users registry
hive is still showing the> > netwo> rk> > > location path in the > > > >
ForcePST registry key under > > > > HK>
CU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\Outlook..... which I thought> > > was> a
is> > > this > > > > tatooing? > > > > > > > > My head is kind of spinnin> g
now... as i think i am getting out of my> > > depth... > > > > any steer >
would be great. All i am looking to achieve is for users> > > (not within a>
specific OU) default outlook PST path to point to where> > it> > > would h> ave
pointed if I didn;t mess with this setting... its as if the> > > defaul> t PST
location value is now the network path if I leave this> > > setting t> o 'Not
Configured'> > > > > > > > lozza > > > > > > > > > > > > 'lozza' wro> te:> > >
here.... looking for some help:> > > > > > > > > > In AD i have an > OU with a
GPO applied. This GPO, as well as other> > > user> > > > > settin> gs, sets
User Configuration\Administrative Tools\Microsoft> > > Office > > > > > >
Outlook 2003\Miscellaneous\PST Settings\Default location for PST> > >>
files.... to > > > > > a networ> k location (I dont have any other option!).>
Now my> > > understanding was > > > > > that this should apply to all user> s
within the OU that is GPO is> > > linked to... > > > > > and it does, jus> t
fine, was happy until today> > > > > > > > > > However....> > > > > > > >> > >
When I create a new user in AD, and place him in any other OU that> > > > does
not > > > > > have this GPO linked to it (and only the Default domai> n
Policy),> > > this setting > > > > > still applies to the user when confi>
guring outlook... it> > shouldn't,> > > should it?> > > > > > > > > > So...> I
went into GPMC, clicked the OU the user sits in on the> > left> > > hand> side,
> that ONLY > > > > > the Default Domain Policy is being applied.> .. which it
should> > be...> > > good> > > > > > > > > > So... I clicked on> the Default
domain policy on the left hand side> > > pane of > > > > > GPM> C and on the
right h> and side pane clicked the settings tab> > which> > > sh> ows me > > >
> > all configured settings within this GPO. AND THERE IT WAS!> under> > > User
it> > > says:> > > > > > > > > > 'Display names for som> e settings cannot be
found. You might be> > able> > > to > > > > > resolve > this issue by updating
the .ADM files used by Group Policy> > > > > > > Man> agement' > > > > > > > >
> > and directly under that it specifies:> > > > >> > > > > > Setting:> > >
Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Fo> rcePSTPath> > > > > State:
\\Network File server where PSTs are stored in t> he GPO its> > > configured >
another GPO specifically> > > linked to one part> icular OU also in my Default
Domain Policy? When I> > > > > open the defdom> pol to configure it I dont see
the template that> > sets> > > this setting,> in fact> I dont see any of the
Microsoft > > > > > Office stuff in the defd> ompol GPO as I didn't add any
additional> > > administrative templates to t> he Default Domain GPO.> > > > >
domain > > > > > policy... does anyone know > what i;m talking about?> > > > >
The next generation of MSN Hotmail has ar> rived - Windows Live Hotmail> > >
<http://www.newhotmail.co.uk> > > > *****> ******************> > > You can
with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR> > > by logging into the
freelists.org Web interface. Archives for the list>> > are available at
http://www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/> > > > > ****> ********************>
interface. Archives for the list are available at http://www.fr> eeli>
sts.org/archives/gptalk/> > ************************> > > > > > > > > > Are>
you the Quizmaster? Play BrainBattle with a friend now! > > > > > > > > > > >
Do you know a place like the back of your hand? Share local knowledge wit> h >
BackOfMyHand.com> > > > > > > > > > The next generation of MSN Hotmail > has
arrived - Windows Live Hotmail> > > > > > > > > > Do you know a place l> ike
_____________________________> > Celeb spotting – Play CelebM> ashup and wi> n
cool prizes> > https://www.celebmashup.com> > > ***********************> > You
with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the freeli> sts.org
Web interface. Archives for the list are available at http://www.fr>
eelists.org/archives/gptalk/> ************************> >
in the Subject field OR by logging into the freelists.org Web interface.
Archives for the list are available at
http://www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/> ************************

Get closer to the jungle… I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!