[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:11:53 +0000

Hi Jamie,
Yup... gave that a go.. rebooted few times etc but still that setting is coming
down and shown in the user registry hive. Within the GPMC settings view of the
defdompol, there is no sign that this setting (ForcePST) is now set... and the
only GPO applied to this User is defdompol...
Thanks for you reply
Loz  > Subject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not
Configured'> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:58:51 -0600> From:
Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Have you done a
"gpupdate /force /target:user" from the command-line?> Sometimes if you
forcefully reapply the policy it will correct things> like that.> > Regards,>
Jamie Nelson> > -----Original Message-----> From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]> On Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAIN> Sent:
Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:36 PM> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [gptalk]
Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not> Configured'> > Hi Guys,> > I
have also posted this to Group Policy Forums @ Microsoft. Trying to> get some
exposure to this problem... hoping someone can shed some light.> I have tried
to describe exactly what is going on being a descriptive as> possible. If I get
an answer on the on the Microsoft forum i'll post it> over to here if anyone is
interested.... > > I have pasted the Thread I have started already:> > > 2
posts altogether:> > Hey Guys,> > > > Okay, although I have not found an answer
yet, I *think* I have made> some > > progress and am on the right lines, again
if anyone has any comments> please > > do let me know.> > > > .... after a lot
of googling everything was pointing to the fact that> I MUST > > HAVE at some
point applied the Outlook ADM to the def-dom-pol with the> > > setting for
'default path for PST Files' pointing to my network> location. > > After
applying it I must have ripped out the ADM template from the > > def-dom-pol
and applied it specifically to the OU where I wanted the> GPO to > > apply.
Hence this *probably* caused GPMC to give the output of> 'display names > > for
some setting cannot be found....'> > > > So... in an attempt to correct
this.... Within the def-dom-pol I added> the > > Outlook ADM template back
in... And set the setting for the PST path> to 'not > > configured'.. .
Rebooted an XP client, logged in with a new user but> still > > outlook is
pushing the path of the PST to the network store when> configuring a POP3 email
account.> > > > The strange thing still is even though I have configured the
setting> now to > > 'Not Configured' (and hence it does not now display in the
GPMC> settings tab > > for the def-dom-pol GPO as being set at all) AND the
ONLY policy that> is > > applied to Users (for new users created after this
change as well) is> the > > def-dom-pol ONLY, the users registry hive is still
showing the network> location path in the > > ForcePST registry key under > >
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\Outlook..... which I thought> was a > >
protected registry area that doesn;t suffer from tatooing i.e.... is> this > >
tatooing? > > > > My head is kind of spinning now... as i think i am getting
out of my> depth... > > any steer would be great. All i am looking to achieve
is for users> (not within a specific OU) default outlook PST path to point to
where it> would have pointed if I didn;t mess with this setting... its as if
the> default PST location value is now the network path if I leave this>
setting to 'Not Configured'> > > > lozza > > > > > > "lozza" wrote:> > > > > Hi
Guys,> > > > > > I am confused by what is going on here.... looking for some
help:> > > > > > In AD i have an OU with a GPO applied. This GPO, as well as
other> user> > > settings, sets User Configuration\Administrative
Tools\Microsoft> Office > > > Outlook 2003\Miscellaneous\PST Settings\Default
location for PST> files.... to > > > a network location (I dont have any other
option!). Now my> understanding was > > > that this should apply to all users
within the OU that is GPO is> linked to... > > > and it does, just fine, was
happy until today> > > > > > However....> > > > > > When I create a new user in
AD, and place him in any other OU that> does not > > > have this GPO linked to
it (and only the Default domain Policy),> this setting > > > still applies to
the user when configuring outlook... it shouldn't,> should it?> > > > > > So...
I went into GPMC, clicked the OU the user sits in on the left> hand side, > > >
clicked 'Group Policy Inheritance' tab on the right pane and see> that ONLY > >
> the Default Domain Policy is being applied... which it should be...> good> >
pane of > > > GPMC and on the right hand side pane clicked the settings tab
which> shows me > > > all configured settings within this GPO. AND THERE IT
WAS! under> User > > > Configuration, Administrative Templates, Extra Registry
Settings it> says:> > > > > > 'Display names for some settings cannot be found.
You might be able> to > > > resolve this issue by updating the .ADM files used
by Group Policy > > > Management' > > > > > > and directly under that it
specifies:> > > > > > Setting:>
Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath> > > State:
\\Network File server where PSTs are stored in the GPO its> configured > > >
for...> > > > > > So why is this setting, that is set in another GPO
specifically> linked to one particular OU also in my Default Domain Policy?
When I> > > open the defdompol to configure it I dont see the template that
sets> this setting, in fact I dont see any of the Microsoft > > > Office stuff
in the defdompol GPO as I didn't add any additional> administrative templates
to the Default Domain GPO.> > > > > > Truly confused and a bit worried that
I've messed my default domain > > > policy... does anyone know what i;m talking
generation of MSN Hotmail has arrived - Windows Live Hotmail>
<http://www.newhotmail.co.uk> > ***********************> You can unsubscribe
in the Subject field OR by logging into the freelists.org Web interface.
Archives for the list are available at
http://www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/> ************************
Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes