[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBAF" <Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:16:35 -0600

Indeed, it is a great discussion. In pre-GP days it was extremely
beneficial to do this. Of course, back in those days it was also
somewhat of a common practice to give users local admin rights on their
PC, so we could also do a lot of things through logon scripts.

Since GP has matured, I haven't found much of a need to customize the
default profile anymore. If the changes are purely aesthetic and not
functional in nature, it is my opinion that messing with it is just not
worth the time. Not saying that the usefulness of doing so is gone, but
I just haven't come across very many instances where I couldn't change
something through GP or very easily with a script. However, I also
understand that not everyone can or wants to learn how to write code, so
I can see how customizing the default profile is a much more attractive
option to them.

My main argument with doing so is that in larger, more diverse
enterprises (like those I've been a part of for the better part of my
career) you can't always use the same default profile across the board.
In this situation you have to resort to making the changes to the local
default profile which can become a mess if you are dealing with more
than a couple of different configurations. In situations where you're
lucky enough to be able to centrally manage one profile from NETLOGON,
then it is not too much of an administrative headache, but I would still
tend to shy away from doing so unless it is an absolute necessity.

Regards,
Jamie Nelson

From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Configured'
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:23:32 -0800

Alan-

Just to clarify, ntuser.pol should not exist in a default profile. It is
created on the fly (both per-user and per-computer) for a given user
and, as you correctly point out, contains the admin template policy
settings (as well as preferences by the way) for the current user. The
per-user version is held in the current user's profile directory. It is
responsible for the policy clean up process inasmuch as each time Admin.
Template policy is processed, this "archive" file is read and any policy
keys found in it are removed before the current Admin. Template policies
are re-applied. So it is possible that this .pol file somehow did not
get the policy in question added to it, and thus would not remove it.
But this seems like a strange scenario.

Darren