[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:32:51 +0000

This is an even better discussion for me, as for someone who wasn't on the
scene pre-GP days I guess I dont appreciate see the value of Group Policy and
what it does and take applying GPs for granted (without fully understanding
whats going on in the background) and when things go wrong dont know where to
start looking. I am slowly learning the lesson of creating relatively small
amounts of Group Policies and not tinkering with lot.
 > From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [gptalk] Re:
 > Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'> Date: Tue, 27
 > Nov 2007 16:06:54 -0800> > This is a good discussion. In the past, working
 > in very large environments,> I customized the crap out of the default
 > profile. This was pre-GP days> however but the value of creating those
 > customizations was still useful,> esp. in the pre-GP days. The reality is
 > that GP does not expose all that can> be customized in the user profile and
 > so if you want to do that, you almost> need to create a custom default
 > profile. However, for the un-initiated, the> process is not very well
 > defined. I've seen things like embedding the wrong> ntuser.dat hive
 > permissions into a default profile cause 5000 people to not> be able to
 > logon (that was a fun day). Profiles cause a lot of problems for> folks,
 > esp. when things like the purpose of ntuser.pol are not clear to> them. My
 > feeling is that the less tinkering you do with the default profile,> the
 > better, but there are valid reasons for it.> > Darren> > -----Original
 > Message-----> From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On> Behalf Of Alan & Margaret> Sent:
 > Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:07 PM> To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
 > [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not> Configured'> >
 > Hi Jamie,> > You don't really have any argument with me. I have always
 > tended to have a> fairly robust VB program to run at logon to do all the
 > special tailoring and> to fix up old "mistakes" etc. This is especially
 > important when you also> want to change existing users, rather than just new
 > users. > > However there are some things that can be done much more easily
 > via the GUI> than using a program/script, especially if you do not have a
 > really> experienced programmer. Small things like increasing the width of
 > the quick> launch area, changing a default setting in explorer can take
 > quite a while> to work out.> > Another advantage of the default profile is
 > that it behaves as a preference.> You get the setting first up, but you can
 > then change it. Group Policy> doesn't usually support this. Of course your
 > script can be clever enough to> set it if it isn't already set, but that
 > gets more complex again > > I would still say that for small sites, the
 > ability to quickly change things> by logging on as a "standard user" make
 > changes to the profile then save it> all back to the default profile has a
 > lot of appeal. You just need to be> careful... > > Also, there are a lot of
 > managers that think we should run it "out of the> Box". They argue that
 > changing the Default Profile is the way Microsoft> intended you to do it,
 > writing Programs/scripts is creating a support> headache.> > Alan
 > Cuthbertson > > -----Original Message-----> From:
 > gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On> Behalf
> [...]
100’s of Music vouchers to be won with MSN Music
https://www.musicmashup.co.uk