[gptalk] Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:35:45 +0000

Hi Guys,
I have also posted this to Group Policy Forums @ Microsoft. Trying to get some
exposure to this problem... hoping someone can shed some light. I have tried to
describe exactly what is going on being a descriptive as possible. If I get an
answer on the on the Microsoft forum i'll post it over to here if anyone is
I have pasted the Thread I have started already:
2 posts altogether:
Hey Guys,> > Okay, although I have not found an answer yet, I *think* I have
made some > progress and am on the right lines, again if anyone has any
comments please > do let me know.> > .... after a lot of googling everything
was pointing to the fact that I MUST > HAVE at some point applied the Outlook
ADM to the def-dom-pol with the > setting for 'default path for PST Files'
pointing to my network location. > After applying it I must have ripped out the
ADM template from the > def-dom-pol and applied it specifically to the OU where
I wanted the GPO to > apply. Hence this *probably* caused GPMC to give the
output of 'display names > for some setting cannot be found....'> > So... in an
attempt to correct this.... Within the def-dom-pol I added the > Outlook ADM
template back in... And set the setting for the PST path to 'not >
configured'.. . Rebooted an XP client, logged in with a new user but still >
outlook is pushing the path of the PST to the network store when configuring a
POP3 email account.> > The strange thing still is even though I have configured
the setting now to > 'Not Configured' (and hence it does not now display in the
GPMC settings tab > for the def-dom-pol GPO as being set at all) AND the ONLY
policy that is > applied to Users (for new users created after this change as
well) is the > def-dom-pol ONLY, the users registry hive is still showing the
network location path in the > ForcePST registry key under >
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\Outlook..... which I thought was a >
protected registry area that doesn;t suffer from tatooing i.e.... is this >
tatooing? > > My head is kind of spinning now... as i think i am getting out of
my depth... > any steer would be great. All i am looking to achieve is for
users (not within a specific OU) default outlook PST path to point to where it
would have pointed if I didn;t mess with this setting... its as if the default
PST location value is now the network path if I leave this setting to 'Not
Configured'> > lozza >   > > "lozza" wrote:> > > Hi Guys,> > > > I am confused
by what is going on here.... looking for some help:> > > > In AD i have an OU
with a GPO applied. This GPO, as well as other user> > settings, sets User
Configuration\Administrative Tools\Microsoft Office > > Outlook
2003\Miscellaneous\PST Settings\Default location for PST files.... to > > a
network location (I dont have any other option!). Now my understanding was > >
that this should apply to all users within the OU that is GPO is linked to... >
> and it does, just fine, was happy until today> > > > However....> > > > When
I create a new user in AD, and place him in any other OU that does not > > have
this GPO linked to it (and only the Default domain Policy), this setting > >
still applies to the user when configuring outlook... it shouldn't, should it?>
> > > So... I went into GPMC, clicked the OU the user sits in on the left hand
side, > > clicked 'Group Policy Inheritance' tab on the right pane and see that
ONLY > > the Default Domain Policy is being applied... which it should be...
good> > > > So... I clicked on the Default domain policy on the left hand side
pane of > > GPMC and on the right hand side pane clicked the settings tab which
shows me > > all configured settings within this GPO. AND THERE IT WAS! under
User > > Configuration, Administrative Templates, Extra Registry Settings it
says:> > > > 'Display names for some settings cannot be found. You might be
able to > > resolve this issue by updating the .ADM files used by Group Policy
> > Management' > > > > and directly under that it specifies:> > > > Setting:
Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath> > State:
\\Network File server where PSTs are stored in the GPO its configured > >
for...> > > > So why is this setting, that is set in another GPO specifically
linked to one particular OU also in my Default Domain Policy? When I      > >
open the defdompol to configure it I dont see the template that sets this
setting, in fact I dont see any of the Microsoft > > Office stuff in the
defdompol GPO as I didn't add any additional administrative templates to the
Default Domain GPO.> > > > Truly confused and a bit worried that I've messed my
default domain > > policy... does anyone know what i;m talking about?> > > >
100’s of Music vouchers to be won with MSN Music