[gptalk] Re: Problem to redirect My Documents for all the users

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:17:12 -0700

Craig,

One thing to check right off the bat are the NTFS permissions on the server
where you have relocated the user's 'My Documents' data. As you test a few,
make sure that they are what you want. Here are some other considerations:

*         Make sure that the local Server Admin has access (if
appropriate...and usually it is).

*         Make sure that each user only has access to their own data (Your
server share might be hidden from easy browsing, but there are ways to discover
it from the local user's registry).

*         Decide how to scan for and handle users who discover the shared
folder location-and quickly realize they can create and store almost anything
there-totally outside their My Documents folder-some organizations pre-create a
share on the server for each individual user and lock the permissions down that
way...other use a common share where many user's data goes.

*         Perhaps also disable the ability for users to personally change their
My Documents location. We did this for our folks back in 2000 and have left it
that way ever since.

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Desktop | Prohibit User from
manually redirecting Profile Folders

Explanation
Prevents users from changing the path to their profile folders.
By default, a user can change the location of their individual profile folders
like Documents, Music etc. by typing a new path in the Locations tab of the
folder's Properties dialog box.
If you enable this setting, users are unable to type a new location in the
Target box.

Jerry Cruz | Group Policies Product Manager | Windows Infrastructure
Architecture (http://wia.web.boeing.com<http://wia.web.boeing.com/>) | Boeing IT
Office 425-865-6755 | Mobile 425-591-6491

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:51:08 +0100
From: Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Craig,

I remember reading when I did this that it can take a couple of log on/off's
for the files to redirect. I believe it took my test machine a couple of times.

Give that a try

Andrew

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:46:49 +0100
From: Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Craig,

Don't take offence if this is a stupid question but you did change
\\servername\ to be the name of the server your share is on?

Also, use the command 'gpupdate /force' either in a command window or at the
run menu to speed up the group policy refresh. You'll probably need to log off
and/or reboot afterwards.

Andrew

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:30:13 +0100
From: ian.kibble@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Craig,

That's correct, make sure you have selected "Create a folder for each user
under the root path" as well (above RootPath text field)

________________________________
So how i understand you is like this :  What you are saying is that (bear in
mind that i am working remotely on my Win Serv 2003 when setting this up )
instead of typing D:\MyDocRedirection (which refers to the local D drive on the
server) as the root path i need to change it to \\servername\MydocRedirection
and i should be set then hey - do i understand you correct?

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:05:27 +0100
From: ian.kibble@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Craig,

You will want to make sure you are using a UNC path for folder redirection, if
you were to set it how you've done it - when the user logs in they will be
looking for their MyDocuments in the D: drive of there PC (probably a CD drive).

During the configuration of the root folder for your redirected my documents
you would have had to share it (hidden/not hidden) use this share name for the
UNC path example for GPO > \\servername\MydocRedirection or
\\servername\MyDocRedirection$ (if hidden)

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Any more q's let me know

Ian