[gptalk] Re: Problem to redirect My Documents for all the users

  • From: Craig Meyer <craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:24:49 +0200

No offence - i did put it in as the servername yes and not the word
"servername",

I did run gpupdate /force and it asked me to logg off, so i logged off the
server and my PC and logged back on.Now at the moment there are 3 folders under
the folder on the server only. Administrator, my name and the other IT
technician's name. However, the size of my name's folder is 0, the other
technician is 0KB but the Administrator is 233KB. the Administrator folder make
sense with the size and cotent of the folder but none of the other 2 folders.

Anyone know why:
1) My and the other tech's folders is showing 0KB
2) When i try to access my and the other folder it says "Access is denied" -
can this be because i am logged on remotely onto the server with the
Administrator account?
3)Where are all the other users folders?
Craig Meyer
================================================================="He had no
servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called Him
Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings feared
Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited no
crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives
2day....”=================================================================If A
is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and
z is keeping your mouth shut.
Albert Einstein

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Problem to redirect My Documents for all the usersDate:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:46:49 +0100From: Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Craig,

Don’t take offence if this is a stupid question but you did change
\\servername\ to be the name of the server your share is on?

Also, use the command ‘gpupdate /force’ either in a command window or at the
run menu to speed up the group policy refresh. You’ll probably need to log off
and/or reboot afterwards.

Andrew

From: Craig Meyer [mailto:craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 08 August 2008
12:37To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Problem to redirect My
Documents for all the users

Thank you Ian, it did work. Now i am just waiting for the gpo to force/apply
itself and i will see what actually happened.

Craig Meyer
================================================================="He had no
servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called Him
Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings feared
Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited no
crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives
2day....”=================================================================If A
is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and
z is keeping your mouth shut.
Albert Einstein

Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:30:13 +0100From: ian.kibble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Craig,

That’s correct, make sure you have selected “Create a folder for each user
under the root path” as well (above RootPath text field)

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Craig MeyerSent: 08 August 2008 12:13To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
[gptalk] Re: Problem to redirect My Documents for all the users

Hi Ian Thank you for the quick response. So how i understand you is like this :
 What you are saying is that (bear in mind that i am working remotely on my Win
Serv 2003 when setting this up ) instead of typing D:\MyDocRedirection (which
refers to the local D drive on the server) as the root path i need to change it
to \\servername\MydocRedirection and i should be set then hey - do i understand
you correct?

Craig Meyer
================================================================="He had no
servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called Him
Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings feared
Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited no
crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives
2day....”=================================================================If A
is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and
z is keeping your mouth shut.
Albert Einstein

Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:05:27 +0100From: ian.kibble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Craig,

You will want to make sure you are using a UNC path for folder redirection, if
you were to set it how you’ve done it - when the user logs in they will be
looking for their MyDocuments in the D: drive of there PC (probably a CD
drive).

During the configuration of the root folder for your redirected my documents
you would have had to share it (hidden/not hidden) use this share name for the
UNC path example for GPO > \\servername\MydocRedirection or
\\servername\MyDocRedirection$ (if hidden)

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Any more q’s let me know
Ian

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Craig MeyerSent: 08 August 2008 11:59To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
[gptalk] Problem to redirect My Documents for all the users

Hi all This is the first time that i'm trying to configure Folder Ridirection
and i followed article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782799.aspx
as a guide. However if i do it the way of the article i get a "Warning" right
at the end when i click Finish. I click No on the warning as i do not know what
it mean. The warning says "The target path is not a UNC path. If this is not a
valid local path at the client (which it isn't because the document told me to
put in there the path on the server where everyone's documents must go to so it
shows D:\MydocRiderection) , folder redirection will fail. Are you sure you
want to use this path as the target? Y/N Question: Why is it giving me this
error? Thank you for the help

Craig Meyer
================================================================="He had no
servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called Him
Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings feared
Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited no
crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives
2day....”=================================================================If A
is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and
z is keeping your mouth shut.
Albert Einstein

Post, blog and share your world with your family and friends – Windows Live
Spaces, sharing your life just got easier! Go to your free Windows Live Space
now Click here!
 Ltd is registered in England. Registered office at Vintners Place, 68 Upper
Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ. Company number 3170722. VAT No. 749 324
021.Complinet Inc is a corporation registered in Delaware, USA.”This email has
been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.