[gptalk] Re: Power Schemes in GP?

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:47:43 -0500

Group Policy Preferences (GPP) to the rescue! Yes you can certainly do
this with the new GPP extensions that Microsoft has released. You'll
have to deploy the client side extensions to your desktop machines, as
well as have at least one 2008 Member Server or Vista SP1 RSAT
workstation to create/edit the policies on.

If GPP won't work for you for some reason, you can also look at the
EZGPO
<http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_ez_gpo>
tools which are available for free from the EPA. They also require
deployment of a client piece, but you can create/edit the policy objects
on any OS.

I've used both approaches in the past and they've both worked pretty
well. GPP preferences are a little more flexible and user-friendly so I
would go that route first.

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Operations Consultant | BI&T Infrastructure-Intel | Devon
Energy Corporation | Work: 405.552.8054 | Mobile: 405.200.8088 |
http://www.dvn.com <http://www.dvn.com/>