[gptalk] Policy processing time and slow login/boot

  • From: "prankmonkey" <prankmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 23:39:41 +1100

Hi all,

I'm trying to diagnose whether group policy is causing an issue with slow
boot and login. I've enabled userenv debugging nad nothing in the log
strikes me as out of the ordinary. Using the gptime tool seems to indicate a
computer policy processing time straight after boot (on a core2duo machine
2gb memory) of about 9 seconds which to me is totally reasonable. Notebooks
seem to be the biggest culprit and besides a specific policy (registry
policy which I know can be slow to apply) to enable them to change
timezones, the policies that apply to the desktop are the same that apply to
notebooks. Notebooks will always be slower due to FDE and the slower HDDs +
SAV is known to slow down machines but I'm just wondering if the list can
give me some pointers on tracking down areas of slowness. Is there certain
policies settings that should be avoided specifically for notebooks?