[gptalk] Re: Policy Reporter software for Vista

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:04:09 -0600

I've been playing with RC2 and what I can see it is going to be a
nightmare for some developers. You may want to review the following
site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/reference/default.aspx?pull=/libr
ary/en-us/dnlong/html/AppComp.asp
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/reference/default.aspx?pull=/lib
rary/en-us/dnlong/html/AppComp.asp>

Here are some things I found:

1)     the power users group has the same rights as the users group in
Vista, the power users group is only there to support backward
compatibility.

2)       Security on core system locations including the Program Files
directory, HKLM in the registry, and other locations has been completely
revamped. Don't expect easy access to these locations.

3)       If you log on as an admin, your programs don't run with admin
privileges, you can right click on their shortcut or .exe file and
choose "run as administrator" it will then prompt you for the admin
password to run the app in that mode.  Also look at the "compatibility"
tab  when you right click the shortcut or executable.....

4)       If you program downloads data into a repository normally in its
parent file in the Program Files directory it will be re-directed to a
folder in the users Profile directory

Mark Mills, Sr. Network Engineer

Desktop Assistance, LP

14405 Walters Road, Suite 650