[gptalk] Policy Reporter software for Vista

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:15:11 +1100

For those that are doing any testing on Vista, we have released a Beta
version of our free Policy Reporter program. This can also be used on XP
machines. It has a couple of new features including 'Search' and 'Export to
Excel'. For those that have never used it before, it is great when Policies
are not applying properly and you want to make sense of the UserEnv Log. It
is also useful if you are just trying to understand all of the steps
involved in applying Group Policies.

If anyone is interested, you can download it from
www.sysprosoft.com/policyreporter.shtml

I would especially appreciate feedback on any additional records in the logs
which would be useful to highlight, or any cases where it fails to detect
the User and Machine components.

There is also a bit of a bug in the install program that I don't understand.
The MSI file was built using the Visual Studio Installer and works fine on
my XP box. On my Vista box it also installs fine, provided I am not
connected to the domain. Once connected to the domain, when I install it (as
an administrator) it fails to register the additional OCX files that it
needs. It sounds like some new security feature on Vista that cuts in once
you are on a domain, but I couldn't find what it was. Has anyone else seen
similar behavior?

Alan Cuthbertson