[gptalk] Re: Policy Failing

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:20:36 -0700

I don't know about you guys but most of my troubles with deploying
Software with GPOs were solved with the Wait for network... GPO
configuration

Not sure if this may solve the issue cause the error does not give
enough info---but-your error of "was : The installation source for this
product is not available"

Could be interpreted to mean that the machines tried to process the
policy and install the package but the network had not yet initiated.

Read this:

Configuring Synchronous Processing

Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server computers process foreground policy
synchronously by default. Windows XP processes foreground policy
asynchronously by default. In order to enable synchronous processing (at
startup/logon) on Windows XP, you must ensure that the following policy
is enabled (and disabled/not configured on Windows 2000/2003):

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\
"Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

This setting ensures that policy completes before the startup/logon is
completed. The change to the default setting on Windows XP was designed
to speed up startup and logon processing. However, when performing
configurations that must take effect before the end-user has access to
his/her desktop, synchronous processing must be enabled.

From this link:

http://grouppolicy.editme.com/ClientSideProcessing

There are some drawbacks to configuring this policy setting as it may
slow down the logon process for many of your users- and direct end user
impact is usually a big no no

Try this setting- reboot a few times and see if it makes the difference.

Omar