[gptalk] Permissions for software installation

  • From: "Andrew McHale" <Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:33:00 +0100

Hi all,

I've just created a GPO for deploying Acrobat 9 using the standard
policy software installation (not GPP) and added a transform file to get
around things like desktop shortcuts and EULA agreements.

However, when I came to deploy it I got errors about not being able to
access the files.

On Friday I also created a GPO to deploy Java. This had exactly the same
access rights as the Acrobat files but worked first time.

I managed to get the Acrobat installation to work by giving 'Everyone'
read, list and execute permissions to the folder containing the files
but am confused as to why I had to do this.

I thought the software installation used elevated privileges to install
software? Can anyone explain to me (to help my GP understanding) why
this is the case? In case you need to know, our environment is 100%
Server 2003 SP2 and I was deploying to a XP SP3 machine.

Thanks

Andrew