[gptalk] Re: Password Policy behavior

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:44:54 +1000

Hi Brahim,

I am not exactly sure whether you problem is:-

1. Password complexity is still enforced

2. Users must reset their password when they next log on

3. Users must reset their password every time they logon

1. Password complexity is still enforced. You are correct that removing the
policy stops it being enforced, however it does not reset it to the previous
value. What you need to do is create a policy which has "password must meet
complexity requirements" as "disabled". (i.e. setting the policy to "not
enabled" is not the same as setting the policy to "disabled")

2. Users must reset their password when they next log on I think what may
have happened is that when the domain controller detected the new rule that
"all passwords must be complex", it went through and expired all passwords,
so that the new rule could be enforced. If this is the case, you cannot
reverse it by changing policies. You could write a program/script that runs
through AD and unsets the "password expired" flag for each user but it is
probably not worth the effort.

3. Users must reset their password every time they logon It sounds like you
have changed the "maximum password age value" to 1 causing a reset every
day. I can't think how you would get into a position that password changes
are forced every time you log on.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)