[gptalk] Re: Opinion on my Software Restriction Policy

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:37:38 -0700

Pankaj-

I think what you are seeing are the effect of the 4 default Registry Path
Rules, which do allow apps from a number of locations to continue to run
even though the default level is Disallow. If you were to remove one or more
of these registry path rules, you would begin to see all applications stop
being able to execute, which may or may not be desirable, depending upon the
application. I would experiment with it in your own environment.

Darren

From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 05:58:15 -0700

Pankaj-

Its nearly impossible to prevent any kind of software installation, simply
because software can be installed anywhere on the file system and its
impossible to prevent writes to every location on the local file system.
However, there are a series of things you can do to make it very difficult
for users to either install or execute unwanted code. Part of that is using
Software Restriction Policy-based whitelists (i.e. disallow all code as the
default rule and then allow only the apps below). Part of it is using other
measures including:

--Making sure users are not members of the local Administrators or Power
Users groups

--Removing the ability for MSI packages to install outside of managed apps
(i.e. those deployed via GP) by enabling the policy at Computer
Configuration\Admin. Templates\Windows Components\Windows Installer\Disable
Windows Installer

Again, I think it's a combination of several steps that you will need to
perform to ensure that only the code you want is executed.

Sincerely,

Darren