[gptalk] Re: Offline Files for redirected folders sync issues

  • From: "Matthew McComas" <mmccomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:50:26 -0500

Yeah, I've tried synchtoy...there was no way to centrally configure it
so it had to be done on a per user basis.

The auto-reconnect feature has never really worked for us...Two MS cases
and no go...I mean, it works, but sparingly and not with any
consistency.  Our slow link detection is set at zero...

I've really been through the gamut of things that can be done...I just
thought I'd see if anyone had done anything different since the last
time I tackled this.

Also, my boss doesn't seem to get it...he thinks it should be an easy
thing to do ("everyone uses offline files, why can't we?")  He's right,
a lot of people use it, just not the way we are trying to.  The way were
are trying to use it happens to expose one of Microsoft's greatest
weaknesses in their offline files architecture-namely how to handle
synch and caching over slow WAN vpn link without a local server.

The best solution may be a small local file server used purely for
offline files, and then a robocopy job to synch with the central file
server back here.

Matt McComas

Information Technology

Westdale Asset Management, Ltd.