[gptalk] Re: OT: Document and Settings

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:14:49 +0000

Hey Jamie,

A script to do this would be unbelievabley helpful... as I have just finished
something like this in our environment manually...unfortunately I wouldn;t know
where to start with scripting. I used http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236621
as we wanted to move the whole lot including the Documents and Settings Folder
(*note the last section is this article 'Entire Folder')

The other thing that concerns me is that Microsoft wouldn't support such a
procedure unless the ProfilesDir is set to another drive via an unattended
script installation.

...but, i guess, sometimes you just have to do it... so a script to be able to
do this would definately be handy in future if this comes up again, obviously
if you have time to be able to do this...

Thanks
TazH

Subject: [gptalk] Re: OT: Document and SettingsDate: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:43:15
-0600From: Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yep, should be possible.

1)      Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and
modify the ProfilesDirectory value to the new location. This will make all new
user profile get created at that location.
2)      Copy all of the existing user profiles to the new location.
3)      Go into each user profile key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and edit the ProfileImagePath value to the
profile folder’s new location.

Since you’re most likely dealing with a large number of profiles, a quick way
to do it would be to export that whole key tree, do a find/replace, and then
re-import it right after you’ve copied the profile folders in Step 2.

Best approach, however, would be to script out the entire process so that each
profile location is updated in the registry immediately after it is copied. If
you need help scripting it out, just let me know. I can probably whip something
up for you relatively quickly.

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information Technology | I N
T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | http://www.integrisok.com

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Salandra, JustinSent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:22 PMTo:
ActiveDir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] OT:
Document and Settings

Is there a way to, in bulk, move all the existing Document and Settings folders
on a Terminal Server to a different drive and then modify Windows to create new
Document and Settings folders on the new drive location?

Justin A. Salandra
Network Engineer
Transatlantic Reinsurance Co.
80 Pine Street
7th Floor
New York, NY 10005
P: 212.770.2157
C: 917.455.0110
jsalandra@xxxxxxxxxxx

 "IMPORTANT NOTICE: The information in this email (and any attachments hereto)
is confidential and may be protected by legal privileges and work product
immunities. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use or
disseminate the information. Receipt by anyone other than the intended
recipient is not a waiver of any attorney-client or work product privilege. If
you have received this email in error, please immediately notify me by "Reply"
command and permanently delete the original and any copies or printouts
thereof. Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any
virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which itis
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to insure that
it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Transatlantic Reinsurance
Company or its subsidiaries or affiliates either jointly or severally, for any
loss or damage arising in any way from its use."

protection under state and federal law. This information is intended to be for
the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
electronic mail (reply).

http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx