[gptalk] Re: OT: Document and Settings

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:43:15 -0600

Yep, should be possible.

1)      Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and modify the ProfilesDirectory value to
the new location. This will make all new user profile get created at
that location.

2)      Copy all of the existing user profiles to the new location.

3)      Go into each user profile key under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and edit
the ProfileImagePath value to the profile folder's new location.

Since you're most likely dealing with a large number of profiles, a
quick way to do it would be to export that whole key tree, do a
find/replace, and then re-import it right after you've copied the
profile folders in Step 2.

Best approach, however, would be to script out the entire process so
that each profile location is updated in the registry immediately after
it is copied. If you need help scripting it out, just let me know. I can
probably whip something up for you relatively quickly.

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 |
http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>