[gptalk] Re: Moving Server for Redirected Folders

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:26:35 -0700

I think there a few other options you may also want to consider but I am not so
familiar with offline sync to know if this will work 100% or not:

But first: What is wrong with Server1? Is it going to remain in production? Out
of disk space? Retiring? Having issues?

Second: Is Vista already supported or is the new share name an indication that
Vista is coming soon to your users? If so will new workstations or upgraded
operating systems be happening?

Just curious to know.

Depending on the answers to these questions we may be able to try  a few more
things like this one as an example:

Instead of changing the UNC path to \\server2\documents-
<file:///\\server2\documents->  migrate to a domain based DFS namespace like
\\domain\documents <file:///\\domain\documents>

Once you create the domain based namespace add Server1\myDocs as the primary
server to copy data from and then add \\server2\documents
<file:///\\server2\documents>  and an additional namespace server and setup
replication. (Just make sure your DNS and WINS are setup and configured
properly and that your AV settings match Microsoft Recommendations for DFS
Servers)

If you really want to be slick you can create an isolated network that is
routable from the network server1 is on put server2 on that network. Define
that subnet as a new site in AD and then configure DFS to only allow users to
connect to namespace servers in their local site. This will ensure that
everyone stays on server1 and no functionality is in question during the data
replication processing that may take some time. (This of course is assuming R2
edition servers for DFS and-may even require a Win2k3 server enterprise license
or 2)

Once you are sure the file/folder sync has completed on the servers you can
move server2 back into the same network as Server1 and begin to run your
scripts on user workstations for a few workstations or users at a time to
reduce heavy server or network impact.

After a few weeks or lessà everyone will be cutover to the new server (using
the domain DFS) and you can verify dfs replication and server/share connections
and then move server1 to the isolated network (to allow for any leftover
replications but to also ensure that no clients are able to use it- then
decommission server1 after removing it as a namespace server.

I just don't know what happens when you run your script because you have to
change the MyDocs location and I do not think there is a way to avoid the full
sync of data from the client when you run the script? If there is no way to
avoid the client doing a full offline sync between the server and workstations
when the target is changed I wonder if copying the data between the servers is
even necessary or more of a waste of time.

Too complicated? If so maybe take a peek at the File Server Migration Toolkit
for some more tips on this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfsc.mspx

Omar