[gptalk] Moving Server for Redirected Folders

  • From: "EIS Lists" <eis_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:46:04 -0700

Hello

I am trying to move redirected My Documents to a new server with as little
impact on users as possible. Some of the files in the redirected folder have
been made available offline by the users.

Currently, My Docs points to \\server1\home\%username%\mydocs
<file:///\\server1\home\%25username%25\mydocs>  . I have defined a new GPO
that points to \\server2\home\%usersname%\documents
<file:///\\server2\home\%25usersname%25\documents> . Some of the My
Documents folders have several gigs of data. I realize that simply disabling
GPO1 on Friday and enable GPO2 on Monday will move the data. My concern is
that the network will get really bogged down. I would like to do the move
manually over the weekend. The problem seems to be that files that have been
added to or modified in the Offline Files cache get placed back in the
server1 location.

I can change that path using csccmd.exe. However, once the sync happens at
login, it is too late. The files have already been placed back on server1.
Can I run this as a Startup Script instead? Or is there a way to delay the
syn until I have run that csccmd script? (The latter would be better since I
could use the %username% variable.)

Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

Thanks.