[gptalk] Making Sense of GPO Versioning

  • From: "Ryan Brennan" <rbrennan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:22:31 -0500

I think understand a little on how GPO versioning works with GPC/GPT each
having there own version etc. Can someone make some sense of how the
versions are stored between RSOP, GPT.INI, Registry and AD Container?

            For example I have a Default Domain Policy

            GMPC Version: User/Computer 1/71

            GPT.INI Version: 65607

            RSOP Version: 3997757

            Registry History
Version(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group
Policy\History): 3997757

I understand the GPMC and GPT, but the Registry/RSOP ones are confusing me,
I am figuring there is some binary/hex/decimal conversions going on here,
thoughts? I need the laymen breakdown please..

Best Regards,

Ryan Brennan

Secure Vantage Technologies

www.securevantage.com