[gptalk] Making LLDP and Vista work Via GPO with XP

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:11:46 -0500

OK I have a small office and I was going to test Vista's new "Network
Mapping" feature that uses LLDP (Logicial Link discovery protocol).  I
haven't been able to get it to work yet.  Besides getting LLTD working
does anyone know a way to push out the LLTD Responder to XP clients
(GPO) ? Currently it is an ActiveX control install from a MS site.

I ran the LLTD responder (see first hyperlink below) on my XPSP2 pc and
rebooted - there does not appear to be a way to verify it is installed
correctly.  Nothing shows under the "local area connection" properties
to "prove" it's installed.

Per Instructions from web posts I changed the default NIC settings to
allow Netbios over TCPIP instead if DHCP. ( I will revert this back
after I get this working - I realize that this is a security
consideration)

I also went in and created and applied a GPO that allows LLTD.(see 3rd
hyperlink below, this link has some good screenshots)

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-4
81E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

Network Map Does Not Display Computers Running Windows XP

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/409fb2fa-8eb8-45af
-b063-4f50f5a77b291033.mspx?mfr=true

How to Enable the Windows Vista Network Map

http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/11/03/enable_5F00_vista_5F00_net
work_5F00_map.aspx  Vista GPO (Can only be seen on Vista Client running
GPMC.msc) Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network
-> Link-Layer Topology Discovery.

I haven't been able to get this to work in a domain environment, I'm
assuming it should.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Mills, Sr. Network Engineer

Desktop Assistance, LP

14405 Walters Road, Suite 650

Houston, Texas 77014