[gptalk] MS Releases GPMC Speed-Up Fix for Vista and W2KOcho

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:48:41 -0800

Didn't see this posted or discussed yet. MS Posted this KB article on December
16th, 2008. I just completed testing today.
Results of installing this hotfix are reasonably 'Great!' from my perspective.
(We have ~ 2,300 GPOS).

On computers that are running Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1, RSAT
GPMC has long delays in domain environments that have many GPOs
Article ID: 959438 - Last Review: December 16, 2008 - Revision: 1.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=959438

Test results launching GPMC from a virtual location using Vista 32 bit + SP1 +
RSAT device.

Prior to Hotfix
   Starting GPMC: Averaged 1 min - 32 seconds
   Switching GPOs while on Scope tab: Averaged 36 seconds to display data
   Delegation tab and Click on Advanced button: Averaged 1 min 42 secs

After Installing the Hotfix
   Starting GPMC: Averaged 36 seconds <== Awesome!
   Switching GPOs while on Scope tab: Averaged 4 seconds to display data <==
Great!
   Delegation tab and Click on Advanced button: Averaged 1 min 36 secs    <==
No significant change, so MS take a look at this next.

Jerry Cruz | Group Policies Product Manager | Windows Infrastructure
Architecture | CNO | Boeing IT