[gptalk] Re: Lost MSI

  • From: "Igor Sundic" <igor.sundic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:16:52 +0100

Hi Minesh,

Windows installer caches the MSI and MST files locally in
%systemroot%\Installer.

The files are renamed and in order to find out which one is the one you're
looking for, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData.
There you should have a key referring to the system account for the MSIs
installed per machine and user SIDs for the MSIs installed per user. Most
likely you'd have a per machine installation as you installed the
application on a server.

So under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\<MSI
GUID>\InstallProperties key, look up LocalPackage value which should point
you to the cached MSI

Hope this helps

Igor