[gptalk] Re: Lost MSI

  • From: Minesh Pandya <mpandya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:16:58 +0000

I think you may be right as I did try the given steps but couldn't find
anything of substance...
        most probably applications which are run locally from an MSI are
stored locally, but those via policy are removed after installation, but
that doesn't answer             how the application/msi is able to repair.

Yes from gpsi
______________________
Minesh Pandya
Network Analyst
Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP
MPandya@xxxxxxxxx
+44 207 643 7629
http://www.blg.co.uk

"Jonathan Finkbiner" <JFinkbiner@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/03/2008 18:07
Please respond to
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[gptalk] Re: Lost MSI

I think MSI?s are packages that extracted first, then the Windows
Installer service does it?s thing. Once the files are extracted, I believe
the MSI goes away and the Windows Installer service writes information to
the registry about the extracted files which then can tell the Windows
Installer service how to rebuild the package in the event something
happens. The original source is probably kept on the computer somewhere
and you maybe able find it by tracing from the registry. Once you find the
source you would have to use Visual Studio or something to rebuild the MSI
file.

Someone may know more then me about this so there may be other options.
For now, I would say search through the registry to find the package
information, but from what I have observed once you run an MSI it no
longer exists on the physical machine as that archived content.

Steps I would take:
1)      search through the registry for a key word or a specific file from
the application
2)      when you find something of interest, note the registry structure.
If it is the uninstaller information it should have a unique id that looks
something like {0DDE947E-27D5-44A6-83E2-98B7F2B620E7} and it should be in
a child directory of ?installer,? ?Microsoft Installer Service,? or
?Windows Installer Service? (something to that affect).
3)      Once you find the unique id search through some folders and see if
you can find a folder with that unique id on it and maybe you can track
down the source files in there and reconstruct an MSI if the app isn?t too
complex.

Was this installed via gpsi?

Jonathan Finkbiner
Information Services