[gptalk] Re: Loopback GPO Deny perms not working consistently

  • From: Robert Tannehill <rtannehill@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:42:36 -0800

Hi Alan,
Excellent explanation, and your policy reporter is a great program..it
really beats going through text files - wish I had it a while back, thanks
so much.  Now that I understand, through your thorough explanation, what
the NTUSER.POL file is doing, here's what I'm seeing:

#1. If the user has a profile with data in the NTUSER.POL (42K in my case)
AND is IN the DENY group, the policy is properly removed.

#2. If the user does not have a profile, therefore creating a new
NTUSER.POL (42K) and is NOT IN the DENY group, then the policy is properly
applied.

#3. If the user does not have a profile (new logon to this server), AND
the user is IN the DENY group, then the policy is "semi" applied - meaning
I see some of the policy affects.  The NTUSER.POL was empty (showing 1K)
and the DENY could not Delete any Registry entries.

To fix #3., I take the user OUT of the DENY group, have them logon (with
their profile in tact), which then applies the policy (NTUSER.POL now has
42K again).  Then add them again to the DENY group, and it behaves as #1.

Since these are Citrix servers, we delete all profiles left over each
night and therefore, the I'll have situation #3 each day.  Is #3 aborent
behavior and is just a design flaw I'll have to live with?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Robert

  _____