[gptalk] Re: Installing Applications Fails

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:13:29 -0800

Awesome summary Jamie.

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBNF
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:54 AM
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Installing Applications Fails

Are you sure you have permissions setup correctly on the shares? Keep in
mind GP software assignments process under the machine account. Trying
giving explicit access to the "Domain Computers" group and see if that
helps.

Packages Assigned <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278472>  to Computers
with Group Policy Are Not Installed

If that doesn't work you may be experiencing a race condition with Group
Policy trying to process before the network is up. There are a few things
you can try that may help out with that, but since Office is installing
okay, I could be wrong.

1.      Configure the GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue setting (KB840669
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840669> )
2.      Disable Media Sense for TCP/IP (KB326152
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326152> )
3.      Disable Fast Logon Optimization on Windows XP clients (ie. "Always
wait for network at computer startup and logon"). (KB305293
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q305293/> )

If that doesn't help either, you should enable logging for both the
Application Management CSE <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246509/>  and
Windows Installer <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314852/en-us> . That may
give you some more clues as to what is going on.

//signed//
Jamie R Nelson
Systems Engineer
Ingenium Corporation