[gptalk] IE Browser Settings - something is wrong?!?!

  • From: "Timothy J. Parker" <timparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:11:54 -0400

I have a random issue that I can't seem to get to the bottom of, I am still
cleaning up all the GPs that I inherited with my job....

The problem is randomly I will get a call from a user that they can not surf
the internet. When either I VNC or actually stop at their desk and look around
there is 99% of the time proxy information inside of IE. It is also usually set
to Detect settings.

I started toying with Group Policy Results for a couple of the users. I found
the following. That supposedly the GP for setting a domain wide screensaver
(yeah I know its spelled wrong, just haven't taken the time to fix the previous
mistake). But in looking at that GP there is no IE settings that show up at
all.

I also can't seem to find where the lower part of that window would be set. I
have printed out all our GPs and none of them list proxy information, but
somehow they are getting it. I can remove it and the user works fine, but then
they will call again later (can be days or weeks) and the same thing is back.

Any thoughts?

TIA.

Connection/Automatic Browser Configuration
      Policy Setting Winning GPO
      Automatically detect configuration settings     Enabled
Password-Screesaver
      Automatic Browser Configuration Not configured N/A