[gptalk] Re: How to set a batch file to RunOnce with GPO

  • From: hboogz <hboogz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:44:40 -0400

would you examples or links of how to script a flag file setting within a
bath script ?

i'd like to accomplish this as well.

On 3/16/07, Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBNF <
Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 The best thing to do is to just have the batch file create a flag file
(in a temp directory or somewhere) after performing the delete operation.
Then on any subsequent executions it should check for the existence of the
file; and if found, exit before attempting to do anything.

I think the only way you could do it with a group policy setting would be
to create/import an ADM template that added a value to *
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce*.
However, the key would keep getting added back every time the policy was
forcefully refreshed (i.e. using a gpupdate /force) so the script might
run multiple times.

A startup script with flag file would be your best option, in my opinion,
if running the script no more than once is absolutely critical to what you
are doing. The latter GP option would be a huge hassle and I am not even
sure if it would work all that well.

Regards,

*//signed//**
**Jamie R Nelson**