[gptalk] Re: How to: Installing hotfix with GPO's?

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:56:11 -0500

Guys, I completely agree with you. WSUS would be a great solution.
However, I don't work at the place that needs it, and they don't have an
extra server to install it on. They have one PDC (Small Business Server)
and the remaining pc's are XP clients.  I can't even get them to buy a
second domain controller - and the not-for-profit costs for SBS and
Win2K3 R2 is cheap - really, really, cheap!.

I use Shavlik HFNetCHKPro at my office for patch pushes because when we
got hooked on them back in 2001 when there were few other products
besides SMS to push products (don't get me wrong, there were some).
However the good news is that you really have me interested in WSUS now
so maybe I can implement the WSUS server and utilize my Shavlik budget
for something else.  Thanks again for all your input.