[gptalk] Re: How to: Installing hotfix with GPO's?

  • From: "Robert Mariani" <rmariani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:58:00 +1000 (EST)

Mark i have to agree with Omar on this one... WSUS is excellent and best of all
its the
right price for the accoutant!

WSUS will handle all updates including XP,
Office etc etc - it will also roll out the IE7 when released from a central
spot in the
org.

my 2 cents as well!

Rob

On Thu,
October 19, 2006 7:38 am, Omar Droubi said:

Correct me if I am wrong - but if the hotfix is assigned to the computer and
not the user- it should run as system and not require any elevation. All you
would need
to do is create the logic for running the hotfix silently and dealing with a
reboot as
necessary.

What do you have against SUS? Actually you should look at WSUS which will do
the Office updates as well and give you a centralized console so you can view
the status
of the update installation. I think this product is great for the price and I
would
suggest it to any org that does not want to pay for another software solution
and does
not believe in setting up the workstations to do auto update with auto install.

Even if you can get the HF to work in the GPO your reporting is very poor as
you would need to run a post script to check or you would need to comb the event
logs.

If I was you- and you are
against WSUS- I would suggest you spend your time trying to figure out how to
upgrade
all of your workstations to support Microsoft Update and then you can just use
a GPO to
configure AutoUpdate settings and your done- the Outlook Junk mail filter will
be
installed automatically.

My
2 cents,