[gptalk] Re: How to: Installing hotfix with GPO's?

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:50:23 -0500

Omar- you are right on the money - installing patches via GPO a poor
excuse and not meant for production environments.  I actually use
Shavlik to push patches at my office, but my local church called me and
asked how to push this particular patch at logon.  They wanted a small
business server and domain so I set it up for them a few weeks ago, now
they won't stop calling me. So much for being the good Samaritan :-)

If anything I learned a little about the difference between installing
.msi file and hotfixes.  Thanks for your input. Configuring their Auto
Update seems like a good work around and would keep them up to date in
the future as well.