[gptalk] Re: How to Apply Policy for system in workgroup or standalone

  • From: "Ranjan Babu .G" <ranjan.ganesh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 20:04:00 +0530

Hi horbjorn /Alan

Thanks for good suggestion given both.

Even we suggested domain concept for their DMZ zone servers, But they are not
ready to go for domain concept in DMZ.

I have question, Any specific reason keeping standalone server in DMZ zone ? .I
found lot of client having same setup .

Thanks and Regards,

Ranjan

From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*       To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*       Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:19:58 +0200

Ranjan,

I see that you have answered Alan, but unfortunately mails from you are being
stripped as (false positive) exploits by our anti-spam, so I can only see
messages where someone has replied, perhaps you have something in your
signature or something that triggers it or we just have a crappy anti-spam
system ;)

Anyway, I really agree with Alan, is there a reason why you cannot go for a
domain instead, managing workgroups are not really a cost effective solution.
But if you still want to manually edit remote local GPOs (one at a time) you
can do it this way with GPOE:

gpedit.msc /gpcomputer:  mycomputer.mydomain.local

But if you really want to perform stuff in a more automated way, you’ll need to
use IGroupPolicyObject::OpenRemoteMachineGP() from a language that supports COM
vtables, i.e not scripts and VB6,  and do not bother doing it from a Vista box,
since it has been removed and replaced with the undocumented
IGroupPolicyObject2 to support multiple local GPOs. And when you have opened
the GPO, you can edit the registry policy, but besides that, the rest of the GP
extensions are pretty much a black boxes.  So after saying that, you should
really go for Alan’s suggestion and either create a script that you can run
somehow, or even better add the computers to a domain. You’ll definitively
benefit from it in the long run :)

HTH,

Thorbjörn Sjövold

Special Operations Software

www.specopssoft.com <http://www.specopssoft.com>

thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/
<http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/>

*     From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*     To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*     Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:28:52 +1000

Hi Ranjan,

It’s a long time since I have worked in a non-domain area, but I suspect the

answer depends on several things such as:-

*          Do you trust the user to not try and circumvent what you are doing

*          Do you want to do different things on different machines

*          Can you easily visit each machine

*          How much effort are you willing to put in up front

Probably the easiest way is to write a script that runs from the startup

folder. However, if you want to go beyond just adding registry keys and setting

security, using Local Group Policy may be the go, but it is rather tedious

manually running Local Group Policy on each machines. You can write code to

configure Local Group Policy, but that is a lot of up front work. You mention

ADM files. They are really a component within Local Group Policy and so are not

really relevant.

If you are setting security, you may need to run it in the Machine context

rather than the user context. This means that you need to run the script at

machine start time not logon time. This can be done from Local Group Policy,

but requires some programming work unless you manually set it up on each

machine.

Hope that helps…

Alan Cuthbertson