[gptalk] Re: How to Apply Policy for system in workgroup or standalone

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:28:52 +1000

Hi Ranjan,

It’s a long time since I have worked in a non-domain area, but I suspect the
answer depends on several things such as:-

*          Do you trust the user to not try and circumvent what you are doing

*          Do you want to do different things on different machines

*          Can you easily visit each machine

*          How much effort are you willing to put in up front

Probably the easiest way is to write a script that runs from the startup
folder. However, if you want to go beyond just adding registry keys and setting
security, using Local Group Policy may be the go, but it is rather tedious
manually running Local Group Policy on each machines. You can write code to
configure Local Group Policy, but that is a lot of up front work. You mention
ADM files. They are really a component within Local Group Policy and so are not
really relevant.

If you are setting security, you may need to run it in the Machine context
rather than the user context. This means that you need to run the script at
machine start time not logon time. This can be done from Local Group Policy,
but requires some programming work unless you manually set it up on each
machine.

Hope that helps…

Alan Cuthbertson