[gptalk] Re: How do admin access CP on the users profile

  • From: Minesh Pandya <mpandya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:57:57 +0000

Not sure if you had a response for this, when iv needed to access items
from the contol panel when logged in as a user when the items have been
restricted namely add remove programs - I create a shortcut to the item ie
appwiz.cpl on the desktop and then right click the icon and select 'run
as' and enter my admin credentails.

Minesh Pandya
Network Analyst
Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP
+44 207 643 7629

Craig Meyer <craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
30/12/2007 21:49
Please respond to

[gptalk] How do admin access CP on the users profile

Hi all
I have a GPO that prevents access to certain things on the users
workstations. For example their printers, control panel, etc, etc. I have
excluded the admins from the GPO so if someone logs onto the pc with admin
rights the GPO doesn't apply anymore.
My problem is this : One of my technicians worked on the users profile (no
admin rights) and deleted her outlook profile from within outlook 2003.Now
in Outlook you cannot add a exchange account without going to the CP,
which is the problem as the tecnician can't access the CP because he is on
the users profile. Logging on as the admin won't help either as outlook
need to be setup on the users profile.
1. What do i do?
2. Is there any way that i can restrict things for the users but the
admins can access it (for example printers) without having to log off and
on again.

Craig Meyer

Need to make secret plans about Christmas? Download Windows Live Messenger
for free! Click here!

Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP
Beaufort House, 15 St. Botolph Street, London EC3A 7NJ.

Telephone :     +44 (0)20 7247 2277
Fax :           +44 (0)20 7643 8500
Web Site :      http://www.blg.co.uk
VAT Number:     243202705

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.If you have
received this e-mail in error, you must not disclose to any other person, nor
take copies of, the contents of this e-mail and/or any attachment to it.

We try to ensure that our communications are free of viruses but do not accept
responsibility for any loss or damage that viruses may cause.  You should take
your own steps to ensure that communications are free of viruses.

Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP is a limited liability partnership, registered in
England and Wales with registered number OC325641.

Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
The applicable rules can be found on the Authority's website.

The term partner is used to refer to a member of Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP or
an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications.  A list
of the members of Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP is open to inspection at the
registered office, Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, EC3A 7NJ.